This Week in Arts

Visual Art:

Cal Day is approaching, and Saturday’s flurry of events will offer art lovers unexpected opportunities for special tours, exhibitions and demonstrations. These art-related events are not just for bright-eyed future Cal bears and their parents, but are also offered to the general public. At Free Speech Movement Cafe, images captured during scientific research will be on display in the exhibit, “Art in Science: The Intersection of Image and Research.” There will be pottery wheel and ceramics demonstrations at the Berkeley Art Studio in MLK Student Union and Wurster Hall respectively. The Berkeley Art Museum will offer a tour of the exhibit “State of Mind: New California Art circa 1970.” Finally, Mexican artists will demonstrate the traditional crafts of wood carving, puppet making, weaving and textile dying at an outdoor marketplace at the Hearst Museum, where their creations will also be for sale.

— Anna Carey

Film:

Come all ye ragged festival-going souls, ye burnouts, ye horses of a different color. On Friday, 4/20 no less, “Dark Side of Oz” descends upon the Roxie Theater, a mere puff away from the 16th/Mission BART. Certainly the most stoner-rific movie experience ever — and one I have revisited an uncertain number of times under dubious states of mental acuity — “Oz” unites Pink Floyd’s 1972 album and “The Wizard of Oz.” You’ve heard and seen both but probably never together in the hazy fog of April 20. If you did, you were in your mom’s garage exhaling into a dryer sheet. Watch Dorothy traverse the yellow brick road as the opening rhythmic cha-ching of “Money” chimes in; or see her in a tornado as “Great Gig in the Sky” howls alongside. It’s mind-blowing how harmoniously the music and the film cohere. Coincidence? Yes. But an eerie, consciousness-altering, Technicolor one at that!
­

— Ryan Lattanzio

Music:

If you like free shows, or want something to add to your “green” celebration, Superb will be hosting Danny Brown on Lower Sproul this Friday. The Detroit rapper has risen to hip-hop fame with his 2011 album XXX, garnering him attention from publications such as Spin magazine, which declared XXX the number one hip-hop album of the year. The acclaimed rapper will be playing after he opens for Childish Gambino’s sold-out concert this Thursday at Oakland’s Fox Theater.
This summer’s lineup for Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival will be announced tomorrow. The festival’s mascot, Ranger Dave, has been posting to his Instagram all of last week, giving hints to which artists will play this year through titleless album covers. So far, Justice, Bloc Party and Passion Pit all appear to be possible bands.
­

— Ian Birnam

Theater:

Put on your dancing shoes, because Cal’s Department of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies will be presenting “The Berkeley Dance Project 2012: Beneath the Flesh” starting this Friday. Although the show’s theme — declared as “transformation within a community” in the billing — is rather vague, the direction of the specific pieces sounds promising. Different choreographers, including TDPS professors and a grad student, head each of the three sections. While the first piece focuses on shifts between life and death, the second piece communicates female rites of passage in the Senegalese dance style. Later, the show will experiment with the influence of clothing on identity. Overall, the production promises both a visceral experience as well as a more  intellectual one. How often can you say you’ve attended an academic, theory-based dance performance?
­

— Deanne Chen