When holograms meet hip-hop: Tupac at Coachella?

tupac
Christopher Polk and Getty Images/Courtesy

As most of you know, this past weekend was the first weekend (there are two of them now) of the perennially sold-out and much talked about Coachella in Indio, California. Hip-Hop fans were in for a treat, with a performance from Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Warren G, 50 Cent, Wiz Khalifa, Kendrick Lamar and more, all on one stage. The all-star line-up performed countless hits (including Snoop’s rendition of the House of Pain classic “Jump Around,” Dr. Dre and Eminem doing “Forgot About Dre” to a dub-step/electronic-infuluenced rendition of the original beat, Kendrick Lamar’s new single “The Recipe,” and for some reason Phil Collins’s “In the Air Tonight” on talk-box) for Coachella crowds.

But even more than this, those in attendance witnessed something that has never been done anywhere else — a Tupac hologram. Yes, that’s right, it’s Star Wars meets hip-hop. Deceased hip-hop Legend (and, apparently, now Jedi), Tupac Shakur, made an appearance in the form of hologram after the West Coast anthem “California Love” for his classics “Hail Mary” and “Two of America’s Most Wanted.”  It’s still up in the air as to how fans feel about this move, as the internet is going nuts about the concert footage. Is it right to use Tupac’s image and music in this way, or is it just the next step in paying tribute to one of the greatest rap artists of all-time? Let us know what you think.

Check out this clip of the ground-breaking performance, and click here and here to watch the entire set.