State of the Art: Cardboard Cathedral, Weirdo Mural and Secret Art Party

Screen Shot 2012-04-17 at 5.28.18 PM
Weirdocult.com/Courtesy

Abroad: Cardboard Cathedral in Christchurch, New Zealand

Can cardboard be used to construct sophisticated, Gothic architecture? When the cathedral in Christchurch, New Zealand was ravaged by a 6.3 earthquake, the city was left without an important landmark and meeting place. In response, Japanese architect Shigeru Ban has designed cardboard structure to replace the Victorian-era, Gothic-style structure. The plans prove cardboard to be much more than a cheap, easy-to-maneuver material, but instead a medium for functional and artistically impressive architecture.

ChristChurch Cathedral/Courtesy

US: Weirdo in Tennessee

It was just last month that Weirdo was painting a mural on the UC Berkeley campus. (Anyone find it yet?) He’s since then traveled across the country to Nashville, Tennessee and graced this modern mansion with another one of his surrealist murals. The house, designed by Larry Woodson and Leila Gilchrist from Woodson Gilchrist Architects, received the Award of Excellence in Architecture from American Institute of Architects Tennessee State in 2011. Weirdo juxtaposes a vibrant otherworldly painting style with the crisp, white canvas of this white-walled residence.

Weirdocult.com/Courtesy

San Francisco: Herakut at 941 Geary

German artist duo Herakut has a new show coming up at 941 Geary called “Loving the Exiled” opening Saturday. Using earth-toned pallets, the artists created compositions that are simultaneously hazy and luminous. Occupied with human nature and symbolisms found in nature, they did not focus on the aesthetic look of their pieces: “What our hands actually do with our spray-paint is left up to them really.” Instead, they concentrate on “telling a story” with their art. The photos are by Colin M. Day.

Colin M. Day/Courtesy

East Bay: The City is Ours

Saturday, local artists and musicians will be taking over a TBA location in Oakland for a secret art installation and party, “The City is Ours.” The event will feature live music by Antwon, 1 AM Love, Twin Steps and many more, and if the GATS event poster is any indication, the art will be from the best of the Bay Area. The location has not been announced but check out the Twitter for updates.

Endless Canvas/Courtesy

Campus Area: Cal Day Mexican Art at Hearst Museum of Anthropology

Even if you don’t fall into the category of prospective student or proud parent, there are still plenty of special Cal Day happenings to enjoy. Mentioned earlier in my This Week in Arts post, the Hearst Museum will be holding a Mexican Art Demonstration and outdoor marketplace. In addition to displaying arts and crafts available for purchase, the museum has invited artists to display traditional techniques such as dying textiles, carving wood and painting pottery.

Hearst Museum/Courtesy