Fee referendums could be missing from ASUC General Election results Thursday

The results of the two referendums on the spring 2012 ASUC general election ballot might not be announced with the results for the executive and senate seats at Thursday’s tabulations.

Unless a compromise is accepted by the ASUC Judicial Council, the results from the Class Pass referendum — which would extend the bus pass contract with AC Transit — will not be tabulated because an injunction was set on the results by the Judicial Council, according to Elections Council chair Pamudh Kariyawasam.

The injunction came about after Graduate Assembly President Bahar Navab filed charges against the referendum because the language on the ballot incorrectly stated the pass would last three years instead of seven for a portion of the first day of voting.

Navab said she is working with the Elections Council to reach a compromise to tabulate the results and determine if the votes cast while the ballot was inaccurate would have changed the results. As of press time, the Judicial Council had not approved a compromise.

The results of the V.O.I.C.E. Initiative — which asked students to pay $2 per semester to support The Daily Californian — will only be tabulated if the Judicial Council decides to overturn ASUC President Vishalli Loomba’s executive order invalidating the initiative at a hearing Wednesday night, according to Kariyawasam.  The executive order was challenged by Lynn Yu, campaign manager for the referendum — resulting in the hearing.

Results of the general election will be tabulated in 2050 Valley Life Sciences Building at 6 p.m. Thursday.

Chloe Hunt is the lead student government reporter.