UC Berkeley student arrested on suspicion of peeping

After two peeping incidents were reported in the same residence hall at UC Berkeley over the past two weeks, one student who lives there has been arrested.

At around 7:15 p.m. Monday, an 18-year-old female resident was showering in a fifth floor coed restroom in Unit 2’s Davidson Hall when she noticed someone  in the neighboring stall pointing an iPhone from above the partition separating the two, according to UCPD Capt. Margo Bennett.

According to Bennett, the victim screamed, causing the suspect to flee. Police arrested freshman Wenchuan “Winston” Li, who the victim said entered the bathroom shortly after she did and was seen by other students fleeing the scene.

Li lived in Davidson at the time of the incident, according to Bennett. Officers did not find photos or video from the incident on Li’s phone but it was confiscated by police along with a camera and laptop.

According to Berkeley Police Department Sgt. Mary Kusmiss, Li was booked at the Berkeley Jail Facility on one misdemeanor charge and was released several hours later on $5,000 bail.

A separate incident took place Apr. 7 in a third floor restroom in Ehrman Hall at Unit 2. The victim, an 18-year-old female, said  she was taking a shower at approximately 11 p.m. when she noticed someone standing outside her shower door holding a blue digital camera, according to Bennett.

The suspect fled when she screamed, and has not been identified, Bennett said.

At least five other peeping incidents occurred between Feb. 16 and March 22. Several residents reported people peeping from gaps under the shower stalls or holding cell phones over the top of the stall door.

There were six peeping incidents reported to UCPD in 2011, according to Bennett. The six incidents last year all took place between January and April.

• Guest

Any updates on this story? Does Wenchuan Li the pervert still live in dormitory? Did his floormates run him out on a rail or castrate him for being a perverted fuck?

• Guest

Wenchuan LiThe perverted fuck has an account on http://www.essayforum.com/index.php?action=userinfo&user=22728:Username:winstonli
    First & Last Name:Wenchuan Li
    School Name:Plano Senior High School
    Country:United States of America
    Registration Date:Jul 23, 10Last Post: Dec 18, 2010, 08:21pm
    Threads:6
    Posts:22
    Latest threads posted:”my art will hang in every major art museum in the world”- something to know about me”The road to college as a psychologist” – stanford essay: why a good fitRISD essay- if you can eliminate one thing from the world what would it be?write about an intellectually engaging exp. and letter to roomate-stanford promptsBeing an artist – ucla prompt 2 tell us about a talent”ketchup’s popularity” – uc prompt-tell us about your community
    Latest replies posted:My Favorite Holiday is Eid Al-Fitr”Sibling Class” – Something you do for the pleasure of itFat Kid on The Swim Team: Common App EssayAn itellectually engaging experience (“I was highly imaginative”)An opportunity to bring any person (Johnny Depp) – NYU Common AppCU Boulder entrance essay about diversity and how i can contribute (500 word max)Common app personal essay–footprints in the sand”The Metamorphosis,” “Antidisestablishmentarianism”-Unsettling novel-Favorite WordHow my background has had an impact on my educational goalsMosaic: UC Application Essay #1
    Member Activities:Undergraduate Admission
     21

1
      Writing Feedback 

• Current student

is anybody surprised that it’s an Asian guy ?

anybody ?

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Chen/515140232 Ivan Chen

lmao considering asians make up half the population here, no
      use some probability asshole

• Guest

For his lascivious actions, Wenchuan Li (aka Winston Li) needs to be castrated with a dull chainsaw.

• Nunya Beeswax

That seems rather extreme.  Why not just put him in the stocks naked for 8 hours?  Then the women from the dorms can come, pelt him with garbage, and point and laugh.

• Guest

People like Winston Li/Wenchuan Li are sick fucks. Put him on the stocks, pelt him with garbage and mock him, and then castrate the motherfucker. I cannot tolerate such perverts who sexually harass others.

• FireBlogger

Coed bathrooms, why?

• Froos

we need more diversity. i want a black sexual predator instead of a chinese pervert on campus.

• Fail Of Fail

Hey Officer Ruffin: your advice that students take along a friend when they use the bathroom really turned out to worthwhile… oh wait, no it didn’t.
    It was one of the stupidest things ever to pass between the lips of one of UCPD’s finest, and that’s really saying something.

• libsrclowns

Was she showering with a friend? Was Li her friend?

Will the pictures be introduced as evidence?

• Lionking14

hahaha this is so ridiculous . That guy will never be able to live on his floor again. 

Winston Li hahaha sounds like a GDI faggot who couldnt get any real pussy 

• Fail Of Fail

“never be able to live on his floor again”

ya think?
      probably they’ll throw him out of UC and he’ll spend his life on the sex offender list.
      not living in the dorm is the least of his worries.

“GDI faggot”
      … takes one to know one, eh?

• Lionking14

You fucking faggot, i am in PIKE , come fight me asshole. 

come outside my house and challenge me asshole 

• LOLZ

Welcome to the internet, you must be new here

• Guest

Your homophobic comments are utterly despicable. Shame on you, Lionking14!

What have you against gays and lesbians?

• Nunya Beeswax

Ooh, an Internet Tough Guy. 

• Anonymous?!

Is it ok for the press to release personal information (name, where suspect lives, etc.) so easily, even more so while completely protecting even the identity of the victims?
    I feel some “bias-y” here.
    Not that I’m trying to stand up for the suspect, oh no.
    What he did was horrible — horrible indeed.

• Adsahjh

Why wouldn’t you protect the identity of the victim? If this goes to court, then she should lose her anonymity in accordance with the Confrontation Clause of the 6th Amendment (although various laws protecting victims infringe on it), but she did nothing wrong. It’s a completely ridiculous comparison to make–he may or may not be guilty. She certainly is not.

And it’s not the Daily Cal that releases this–the police does. The Daily Cal just reports it, as all newspapers do with newsworthy arrests.

Now, it’s a fair argument to question the police practice of routinely releasing the names of all arrested before a full investigation has been conducted. I’m uncomfortable with it because it can sully the reputation of people clearly nabbed for things they didn’t do. But this is a lot more complicated than you make it out to be.

(Sorry, don’t mean to be a dick or a pedant, but this really is complicated.)

• Guest

Are there only co-ed restrooms in the dorms?

• Adsahjh

I don’t know why this is in reply to my post, but my dorms are co-ed, and all the co-ed dorms have co-ed bathrooms. Some dorms have a single all-female floor, and there is one all male and one all female dorm. Most freshies, though, have co-ed bathrooms.

• Guest

“And it’s not the Daily Cal that releases this–the police does. The Daily Cal just reports it, as all newspapers do with newsworthy arrests.”
        Which is fine for the police to do, but there’s no reason that a newspaper has to repeat it.   For example, juvenile offenders are kept anonymous.  

It’s okay for a newspaper to think for itself and decide that not everything needs to be released. In other countries news organizations have policies of never showing a person in handcuffs until they’ve been declared guilty.    We can have our cake and eat it too.

• Adsahjh

We have this lovely thing called freedom of the press that other countries (like France, which forbids its newspapers from releasing polls the day of an election, for example) don’t have to the same degree. You don’t like it? Move to a country that gives you less freedom.

If you don’t like a newspaper’s policy, then don’t buy it. Since you don’t pay for the Daily Cal, your opinion is marginally relevant, at best.

• Guest

Uh, what part of the term ‘VICTIM’ do you NOT understand?? Save your rightous indignation for when you grow up, Pal, cuz right now? You’re just an unknowing, dumbass moron. You’ll realize that someday, if your unfortunate spouse is so lucky.