UCLA surpasses UC Berkeley as most selective campus for Californians

UCLA was more selective than UC Berkeley for fall 2012 in-state applicants, data from the University of California Office of the President released Tuesday show.

Fall 2012 admissions rates for Californians applying to the Los Angeles campus stood at 17.7 percent this year, while the admission rate of Californian applicants to the Berkeley campus was 22.7 percent, according to the data. Both campuses admitted a lower percentage of in-state applicants than last year — last fall, UC Berkeley admitted 23.8 percent of California applicants and UCLA admitted 22.5 percent.

However, UC Berkeley had the lowest overall admissions rate of all the UC campuses for out-of-state, international and California students combined — 21.1 percent compared to 25.5 percent last fall. The campus saw an unprecedented number of applicants this year, with 61,695 students applying for around 13,000 spots, according to a Tuesday campus press release.

These lowered admission rates for California residents occurred as the UC admitted 43 percent more out-of-state and international students this year, continuing controversial efforts to use nonresident students’ heftier fees to mitigate the effects of decreased state funding.

UC Berkeley proved the exception to this by accepting fewer nonresident students this year than last year, dropping its nonresident acceptance rates to 17.9 percent from 30 percent last fall.

Meanwhile, UCLA accepted a greater number of nonresident students, but the campus’s nonresident acceptance rate declined from 35.8 percent last year to 30.3 percent this year because of a higher number of applicants.

Anne De Luca, associate vice chancellor for admissions and enrollment and acting director of undergraduate admissions, said in the press release that the lower acceptance rate for the campus reflects “the dramatic increase in applications (and) the high demand from California students, out-of-state students and international students.”

Geena Cova covers academics and administration.

• max

I agree. UCLA has an amazing medical school and film school, and Berkeley has neither. UCLA also garners more researching funding and grants than Berkeley, so UCB is definitely no UCLA!

• Cal Alumnus (GO Bears!)

Once again the Daily Cal drops the ball! How can it be inferred from the numbers of accepted applicants to both schools, that once is more selective than the other, especially when considering percentage points.  If Berkeley had a large amount of quality applicants then it should accept them. On the other hand, suppose UCLA received a large amount of applicants but only a handful of quality students, that would throw off the numbers! Making UCLA seem more selective.  It’s more important to look at the quality of students rather than making an opinion based on numbers of accepted vs. denied.

• Guest

The real story is the  discrimination perpetrated against white California resident  applicants to UCLA for the Fall of 2012.

Overall California Resident Admits at UCLA dropped from 10,913 to 9,263. 1650/10,913 = 15% drop in California resident Admits; however, this was not shared equally by various racial/ethnic groups.

White Resident Admits dropped from 3,286(30.1%)  to 2,389(25.8%) = 898 fewer White Resident Admits.
      898/3286 = 27.3% drop in white admits in one year.

Asian Admits dropped from 4900(44.9%) to 4158(44.9%)= 742 fewer Asian Resident Admits.
      742/4900 = 15.1% drop in Asian admits

Chicano/Latino Resident Admits increased from 1907(17.5%) to 1958(21.1%) = 51 additional Chicano/Latino Admits.
      51/1907 = 2.7% increase in Chicano/Latino Admits

African American Resident Admits dropped from 382(3.5%) to 348(3.8%) = 34 fewer African American Resident Admits.
      34/382 = 8.9% drop in African American Admits.

Only White Resident Applicants were disproportionately affected by the
      drop in Resident Admits. Given the malfeasance  UCLA’  Admissions is well noted
      for in the past. This calls for thorough investigation.

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/polisci/faculty/groseclose/CUARS.Resignation.Report.pdf

http://www.mindingthecampus.com/originals/2008/09/if_you_like_whodunit_books.html

UC  needs to add transparency to its admission process. Applicants should be provided with  the score their application received-1,2,3,4,5 -by each of the readers. The race/ ethnicity of the readers who scored the application  and the score by each should be provided. A brief summary of the reasoning for assigning a 1,2,3,4. 
      5 is the only score that has a set standard- did not meet UC requirements.

If there is a variance of more than +1, a senior reader who is an full time admissions employee score the application. If that occurred, the score, reasoning and race/ethnicity of the senior reader also needs to be provided.

UC then needs to start providing the GPA and Sat scores  by race/ethnicity  for Admits and  Non Admits from each high school so that the degree that race and ethnicity affect admissions can be determined  for each high school.

The current  lack of transparency is  unacceptable for a public university.

• Guest

privilege.txt

• Guest

Why can’t the title be : “UC Berkeley surpasses UCLA as most selective campus”?

• guest

I think people are starting to realize that Berkeley is a dump compared to UCLA… literally, not figuratively.

• ajb

nonsense.  Cal has plenty of HS senior applicants who don’t even visit/apply to UCLA.

And furthermore Cal is committed to having  their out of state admits at 20% max.
        The reason UCLA has fewer California  admits is not being more selective/exclusive, it is because UCLA is admitting more  out of state appliants to get the higher out of state tutition payment required.

• max

There’s no question that the UCLA campus and environs are superior to that of UCB.

• Guest

Agreed. Berkeley is more selective than UCLA as 21.1 < 21.3. Makes no sense why the Daily Cal would find a one of the only numbers where UCLA trumps Berkeley and then make it the title of the article.

• Guest

well, otherwise it wouldn’t be “news,” right?

• Smartypants

IMO the title should say:

“For Californians, UCLA surpasses UC Berkeley as most selective campus”

—-> emphasis on Californians

• Szt11

Because UC Berkeley always surpasses UCLA as most selective and it’s not surprised at all. But the author want us to know UCLA is increasingly more selective ,especially for cal residents in recent years.