Daily Cal awarded top daily student newspaper, best website in California

Kelly Fang/Staff

Kelly Fang/Staff

Kelly Fang/Staff

Kelly Fang/Staff

Kelly Fang/Staff

Kelly Fang/Staff

We are proud to announce that The Daily Californian was awarded the best daily student newspaper and the best student newspaper website in California, along with nine other first place awards by the California College Media Association (CCMA).

We received a total of 23 awards, which were announced Saturday evening at the CCMA awards ceremony in CSU Fullerton. They include first place for best blog (The Daily Clog) as well as both first and second place for best use of social media.

The awards come amid tremendous change at the Daily Cal. We switched to broadsheet last Monday, restructured our business operations, faced obstacles with the V.O.I.C.E. Initiative and redesigned our website last May (and continue to do so regularly).

Our staff has dedicated tremendous time and energy to provide our readers some of the best student media content in the nation. Our online-first mentality has placed us at the forefront of the journalism industry, garnering us more Facebook and Twitter followers than almost any other student newspaper in the nation.

But the fact that we are an independent student-run business means we do more than produce editorial content. This past year we have reinvested in students, creating more student leadership positions than in recent memory and realizing significant, tangible results.

Despite the rapidly declining revenue we have faced since 2007, we continue to find innovative ways to keep our institutions accountable and our community informed. Yet we know we must remain on our feet amid the continually changing media atmosphere.

To our readers, just as in 1971 when we declared independence from the university, “we need your ideas to tell us what we can do to serve the campus community better.” We encourage you to share your thoughts by emailing [email protected]

To fellow UC Berkeley students, there has never been a more exciting time to join us, and we have never needed your passion as much as we do now. Whether you are interested in writing, designing, programming, selling or marketing, our organization provides unparalleled experience and opportunity to make a difference in our community.

We are proud to have served the Berkeley community for 141 years. With your help, we can boost that legacy to even greater heights and keep our newspaper alive for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Tomer Ovadia
Editor in Chief and President

Below is a full list of awards presented to the Daily Cal at the CCMA award ceremony:

1st, General Newspaper Excellence
1st, General Web Site Excellence (dailycal.org)
1st & 2nd, Best Use of Social Media (Haas shooting, Occupy Cal, respectively)
1st & 2nd, Best Blog (The Daily Clog, Notes from the Field News Blog, respectively)
1st, Best Feature Story (“Scar Tissue” by Katie Dowd)
1st, Best Personal Opinion Column (“Cal, are you experienced?” by Casey Given)
1st, Best Arts & Entertainment Column/ Criticism (“Of time and the city” by David Liu)
1st, Best Sports Story (“The other side” by Jack Wang)
1st, Best Online Promotion (advertise.dailycal.org)
1st, Best Sports-Page Design (“Remember his name” by Emily Smith and Ashley Villanueva)
1st, Best Back to School or Orientation Issue (Fall Orientation 2011)
2nd, Best Breaking News Story (“Displaced Berkeley residents, students watch belongings burn in fire” by Weiru Fang and Anjuli Sastry)
2nd, Best News Story (non-breaking) (“Radical changes may be on the table for UC” by Jordan Bach-Lombardo)
2nd, Best Sports Story (“Scar Tissue” by Katie Dowd)
2nd, Best Features Photography (“Saves of the giant Peach” by Evan Walbridge)
2nd, Best Multimedia Presentation (“Dream State”)
2nd, Best Video (“Dream State”)
3rd, Best Photo Series (“Portraits of a Protest” by David Herschorn)
3rd, Best Special Section (Cal Day 2011)
3rd, Best Arts & Entertainment Story (“A Matter of Life and Death” by Ryan Lattanzio)
3rd, Best News Series (“Dream State”)

• Carlos

I assume one of the awards was not for sound budgeting and business practices.

• Calipenguin

Congratulations!

• Faithfulreader

A Well Deserved Congratulations to everyone at the Daily Cal.

• Bryan

Congratulations, the awards are well-deserved!

• Anom

Awesome! Go Bears!