5 UC Berkeley faculty honored with teaching award

Five UC Berkeley faculty members were awarded the campus’s 2012 Distinguished Teaching Award this week.

The campus division of the Academic Senate’s Committee on Teaching presents the cash award annually to campus faculty who rise “above and beyond the individual fine class to a sustained performance of excellence,” according to the campus Office of Educational Development’s website. Only 240 faculty have received the award since it was established in 1959.

According to the website, this year’s recipients include three language experts, an economist and a legal scholar who were recognized for their ability to inspire both students and colleagues through academic pursuits and who make “students aware of significant relationships between the academy and the world at large.”

This year’s recipients include Sally Goldman, lecturer of South and Southeast Asian Studies; Edward Miguel, professor of economics; Joanna Picciotto, associate professor of English; Debarati Sanyal, associate professor of French; and David Sklansky, professor of law. More information can be read about each recipient on the Office of Educational Development’s website.

Each department can nominate only one candidate per year in a two-stage process beginning in October and ending in February. The Committee on Teaching reviews the submissions from the first stage and then selects which nominees they will consider in the final stage.

Last year’s 2011 recipients included professor of history Robin L. Einhorn, associate professor of chemistry Phillip L. Geissler and associate professor of English Kent Puckett.

The 2012 recipients were recognized at a public ceremony held at Zellerbach Playhouse on Thursday evening.

Adelyn Baxter is the news editor.

• Calipenguin

“students aware of significant relationships between the academy and the world at large.”

How come no science, engineering, technology or math instructors won this year or last year?  If anything those professors can teach students how to improve the world more than Ethnic Studies or European language professors.