Arrest made in cyclist hit-and-run case

Screen shot 2012-04-30 at 3.08.32 PM

Following a hit-and-run involving cyclists in North Berkeley on Wednesday, an arrest was made by the Berkeley Police Department in the case Friday.

Two cyclists were riding east up Tunnel Road when they were struck by a black car at around 4:30 p.m. The driver of the vehicle did not stop following the collision, as required by law, according to Berkeley Police Department Captain Andrew Greenwood.

The cyclists were both wearing helmets at the time of the incident and suffered minor abrasions but did not require hospitalization for their injuries after being treated by the Oakland Fire Department, according to Greenwood. Their bicycles and clothing did, however, sustain considerable damage due to the collision.

Berkeley police announced Friday night that they had arrested the registered owner of the vehicle in connection with Wednesday’s collision. Michael Medaglia, 43, of Oakland, was arrested by BPD Friday afternoon, according to Greenwood.

Following the collision on Wednesday, Medaglia reported his car stolen to the Oakland Police Department, according to Greenwood. After Berkeley police placed an alert on the vehicle, Oakland police located it Friday morning and reported the recovery to BPD, who examined the vehicle further.

On Friday afternoon, Medaglia was located by BPD officers in a room at the Jack London Inn in Oakland and arrested for possession of heroin, felony in possession of ammunition, violation of probation and  felony hit-and-run, according to Greenwood.

Medaglia’s original misdemeanor probation violation was from an August 2010 case in which he was in possession of a switchblade, Greenwood said.

One of the cyclists had a video camera mounted on his handlebars at the time of the collision which captured footage of the vehicle hitting both riders. The video currently has over 100,000 views on YouTube and was used by police in the investigation. The incident footage can be seen in the video starting at 2:39.

Anjuli Sastry is an assistant news editor.