Administrators ask encampment to decide its fate by Saturday night

UC Berkeley legal counsel requested that the protesters on UC-owned land in Albany decide by Saturday night to either give up their encampment and engage in a dialogue with the campus or potentially face legal consequences, according to an open letter issued Friday by campus officials.

The letter — authored by Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost George Breslauer and Vice Chancellor of Administration and Finance John Wilton — was issued in the wake of a meeting Thursday night between campus officials and representatives from the encampment.

In the letter, Breslauer states that campus legal counsel sent a letter to the encampment’s attorney detailing the proposed community dialogue that would be facilitated by the College of Natural Resources should the protesters decide to end the encampment.

If the protesters choose to remain on the land, the campus intends to ensure “the rule of law is maintained,” according to the letter.

Campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof said in an email that the campus does not have a specific time Saturday night that a response is required by. He added that the campus will only respond once it has received a response or is certain no response is forthcoming.

Read the text of the letter below:

Christopher Yee is an assistant news editor.

• Guest

f*ck these fleabaggers  

• libsrclowns
    • Guest

Impostor, when the fuck will these squatters be kicked off the land that is not theirs?

• bp berkeley protest

Dialogue is really important. Although it should be clear that no person or content is excluded from dialogue, and it is occurring with everyone as equals

• Stan De San Diego

Why should those who don’t pay the bills, and weren’t invited in the first place, have any voice whatsoever, much less be treated as “equals”? Those of us who pay taxes in this state have more right to be included in this discussion than a bunch of Occupy squatters.

• Berkeleyprotest

Students, workers and faculty are paying enormously for administrators and poor investments by the Regents

• libsrclowns

Dialogue means absolutely nothing. Administrators should at the very least negotiate.