ASUC Judicial Council rejects charges against Solicitor General

ASUC Solicitor General Erin Delaney will continue to represent the V.O.I.C.E. initiative after charges filed against her were rejected Friday.

The ASUC Judicial Council rejected charges that would have prohibited Delaney from representing campaign manager for the referendum Lynn Yu in any case regarding the legality of the V.O.I.C.E. initiative. The charges β€” filed by CalTV co-executive director Myles Moscato β€” were dismissed on the grounds that the decision was already considered ruled upon.

Delaney represented Yu at an April 18 hearing where Yu contested an executive order issued by ASUC President Vishalli Loomba that invalidated the student fee initiative on the 2012 ASUC general election ballot.

According to ASUC bylaws, the solicitor general is the primary spokesperson of the ASUC if it is a plaintiff or defendant in any case.

But the judicial council stated in their ruling that when the concerns were brought up at the previous hearing, spokesperson-client right and privilege disabled Delaney from her requirement to prosecute the V.O.I.C.E. initiative.

β€œThe issue has already been reviewed and ruled on,” the ruling states.

The V.O.I.C.E. initiative asked students to support The Daily Californian through a $2 per semester student fee. After the judicial council overturned the executive order, the student fee was announced to have passed in the ASUC general election.

The judicial council has not yet announced whether another hearing will be held regarding the legality of the initiative.

Chloe Hunt is the lead student government reporter.