UC Berkeley student dies after fall from dorm window in apparent suicide

A group gathers near a handful of flowers and candles in the courtyard of Unit 2 after police left the scene.
Taryn Erhardt/Senior Staff

Related Media

UCPD confirmed Wednesday morning that the UC Berkeley student who fell from a window in Unit 2 Tuesday night was pronounced dead at the scene, in an incident the department is investigating as suicide.

At around 9:48 p.m. on Tuesday, officers responded to the Unit 2 residence hall after receiving reports that a student — who has been identified as sophomore Henry Treadway — fell from a window of Towle Hall, according to UCPD Lt. Eric Tejada.

The Alameda County Sheriff’s Office Coroner’s Bureau identified the student as Henry Treadway, 20, on Wednesday afternoon. According to the county coroner’s bureau, Treadway died of multiple blunt force injuries at 9:56 p.m.

Paramedics and police responded to the scene, at which UCPD officers roped off the area in front of the residence hall with caution tape while distraught residents gathered in the courtyard.

“Our initial investigation is that it was a suicide,” Tejada said.

There are no press conferences currently planned by UCPD or the Residential and Student Service Programs on campus, according to Tejada.

Reports first began circulating that Treadway was the victim after a status reading “RIP HENRY TREADWAY 11/18/91 — 5/8/12,” supposedly posted by him before the incident, surfaced on his Facebook page Tuesday night.

Treadway was a 2010 graduate of El Cerrito High School.

Within hours of the incident, students had created a memorial event page  for Treadway on Facebook. Friends, family and even apparent strangers continued to offer condolences on the Facebook event’s wall and via Twitter throughout the day Wednesday.

As of 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, the Unit 2 courtyard was nearly empty but for candles and flowers that students had left as a makeshift memorial in front of Towle Hall.

Mihir Deo, a sophomore and incoming Student Action senator, took a statistics class with Treadway this semester and said they always joked together and talked about sports.

“I actually saw him two days ago; it wasn’t for too long but kind of in passing — we both had a stats final on Monday,” Deo said. “We studied a couple times, and I got to know him.”

Deo was also present in the Unit 2 courtyard Tuesday night when it was suspected that someone had jumped off Towle Hall.

“I came of my own accord to (Towle Hall), because I have a fair amount of friends in that hall,” he said. “I had this weird feeling it was (Treadway). I don’t know what led to this, but it kind of clicked. It’s hard to process.”

A candlelight vigil in Treadway’s memory has been scheduled for 10 p.m. at Sproul Plaza this Friday. The event currently has more than 3,000 people attending on Facebook.

Assistant news editor Anjuli Sastry contributed to this report.