Three more armed robberies near UC Berkeley campus

A number of armed robberies occurred within the last week in the vicinity of the UC Berkeley campus, adding to a growing list of students and residents who have had their property stolen while outside at night.

In addition to a recent increase in robberies along Gayley Road on the east side of campus, Berkeley Police Department and UCPD crime logs indicate that other areas of campus have also seen a series of armed robberies within the past week. The three incidents each involved multiple suspects, although weapons varied from guns to knives and pepper spray.

On May 4 around 10:15 p.m., two 21-year-old males were walking near the intersection of Hearst Avenue and Spruce Street when they were approached by two male suspects. One of the suspects allegedly drew a knife before robbing the victims and fleeing to a waiting vehicle, according to a UCPD crime alert. The victims — one of which lost a wallet and cell phone — were not injured during the encounter.

On Tuesday, a 19-year-old female UC Berkeley student was robbed at around 10:17 p.m. The victim was walking southbound along Fulton Street and was less than a block away from her home when three female suspects approached her. One suspect had a gun while another held pepperspray. After taking the victim’s backpack containing a laptop and wallet, the three suspects fled to a waiting car, according to Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Mary Kusmiss.

A 22-year-old female UC Berkeley student was standing in an alley near her residence in the 2400 block of Dana Street Wednesday night at 11:23 p.m. when two male suspects approached her from behind while she was on her phone.  The victim’s phone was taken, and but the women did not have any other property on her. A male student coming to assist the victim was then also robbed, according to Kusmiss. Both suspects were armed with semi-automatic type handguns.

Below is the UCPD Crime Alert description of the suspects for May 4:
Suspect #1 – A Black male, 25-years-old, 5’8” in height, with a heavy build, wearing a horizontal striped shirt.
Suspect #2 – A Black male, 20 to 25-years-old, 5’10” in height, with an average build, wearing a light blue jacket and holding a knife.

Below is the BPD description of the suspects for May 8:
Suspect #1 – “A Hispanic female adult, early 20s, overweight, hair pulled back wearing a grey hoody.”
Suspect #2 – “A Hispanic female adult, early 20s, 5’7” tall, thin wearing a black hoody with the hood up.”
Suspect #3 – “Unknown race and age, female, shorter than Suspects 1 and 2.”

Below is the BPD description of the suspects for May 9:
Suspect #1 – “A black male adult, 18 to 24-years-old, 5’11” tall, thin build wearing a black hoody and black pants.”
Suspect #2 – “A black male adult, early 20s, 5’8” to 5’9” tall, athletic build, wearing a black hoody with the hood up.”