Susanyi falls in semis of NCAA Singles Championships

Zsofi Susanyi became the first Cal women’s tennis player to advance to the semifinals of the NCAA Championships as a freshman, falling to Stanford’s Mallory Burdette in Sunday’s national semifinal at Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga.

Susanyi outperformed her elder teammates in the singles draw, including senior Jana Juricova, who won the NCAA singles championship last year. Juricova fell to Stanford’s Nicole Gibbs in straight sets in the quarterfinals, 6-2, 7-5. Gibbs would go on to defeat Burdette for the singles championship on Monday.

Susanyi, the 13th-overall seed, didn’t have any easy matches in her march towards the national semifinal. The freshman took down Nebraska’s Mary Weatherholt and Alabama’s Mary Anne Macfarlane in the first two rounds, but conceded at least four games in three of the four sets.

The key win for Susanyi was her Friday upset over fourth-ranked Robin Anderson of UCLA. Her 7-5, 6-4 victory was her second straight victory over Anderson this year, the first coming in a top court battle on Feb. 24. A quarterfinal win over USC’s Sabrina Santamaria on Saturday pushed Susanyi into the national semis.

The doubles team of Juricova and Susanyi also advanced to the round of eight in the doubles draw, where they fell to Georgia’s Nadja Gilchrist and Chelsey Gullickson in straight sets. Cal’s other doubles team of Annie Goransson and Anett Schutting bowed out in the round of 16.

Schutting and junior Tayler Davis each fell to ACC opponents in the opening round of the tournament. Davis fell to NC State’s Joelle Kissell, 7-5, 6-1, and Schutting lost to Virginia’s Lindsey Hardenbergh, 6-1, 6-4.