Ol’ Dirty Bastard and ‘Dirty White Boy’

wu tang
wutang-corp.com/Courtesy

That’s right. ODB is back in the news. Big Baby Jesus really should be in the news every damn day, but maybe that’s just a personal preference. Anyway, ODB is going to be played by Michael K. Williams (Omar from The Wire) in an upcoming film written by Brent Hoff (Pranksta and Rockville CA…whatever those are) called “Dirty White Boy”—Good luck marketing that one to the South. The film is set to be directed by Joaquin Baca-Asay, who has been the cinematographer on such projects as “Two Lovers,” “We Own the Night,” and “Thumbsucker.”

The film is supposed to tell the story of ODB through the eyes of Jared Westfield, a VH1 intern who became Ol’ Dirty’s manager. The great thing about this film, aside from the fact that I’m going to live vicariously through this intern, is that people involved with film do not want to cast any actors to play the other members of the Wu-Tang Clan. Yes. They want RZA, GZA, Method Man, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, U-God, Masta Killa, and Cappadonna all to be in the film. But unfortunately, a statement from the Genius’s representative states the opposite will be true for him: “Spoke to GZA today. I will tell you 100% he is not appearing in the ODB / Jarred Weisfeld movie. I can’t speak for the rest of the group, but definitely not true about GZA.”

So, to say the least, I hope all of the other members sign on. RZA has been on a real acting/film kick lately (“Californication” was great this season and I’m foaming at the mouth for “The Man with the Iron Fist” and “Django Unchained”). Method Man seems to pop up on screen all the time (“The Sitter,” “The Mortician,” and “Red Tails”…that’s just the past two years) when he’s not making the dopest song about candy for Sour Patch Kids. I’m assuming Ghostface will finally take the role that is rightfully his as Tony Starks in “Iron Man 3,” but maybe he can take a break from that. As far as the other members are concerned, let’s all pray the killa bees swarm the set when filming for Dirty White Boy starts.