Obama nominates law school alumnus to U.S. District Court

President Barack Obama nominated UC Berkeley School of Law alumnus Jon Tigar to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California on Monday.

Tigar — who graduated with a doctorate degree from the law school in 1989 and received his undergraduate bachelor’s degree in 1984 at Williams College in Massachusetts — is currently a judge with the Alameda County Superior Court and has held this position since 2002. Tigar is one of two nominees to the district court.

“I am honored to put forward these highly qualified candidates for the federal bench,” Obama said in a press release from the Office of the Press Secretary.  “They will be distinguished public servants and valuable additions to the United States District Court.”

Prior to taking on his position at the superior court, Tigar served as a public defender in San Francisco between 1993 and 1994 and was a litigation associate at Morrison & Foerster LLP between 1990 to 1992.  Tigar first forayed into law by serving as a law clerk for Judge Robert Vance of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit.

Tigar will continue as a judge with the county court until he is confirmed by the Senate, according to Adam Byer, principal analyst and acting bureau chief at the Alameda County Superior Court.

Obama also nominated William Orrick, III to the district court. Orrick has served as deputy assistant attorney general in the Civil Division of the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. since June 2010 and previously worked at a law firm in San Francisco.

Anjuli Sastry is an assistant news editor.