Cal’s first four games to be televised

Pac-12 Networks will air three of Bears' first four games, ABC to televise Cal's battle with Ohio State

The Bears and the Huskies will face off on Nov. 2 at Memorial Stadium. The game will mark the first time that Sarkisian and Lupoi set foot on Cal turf since their departures.
Emma Lantos/File

When the Cal football team opens up the 2012 season, the renovated Memorial Stadium will be showcased on a brand new network.

The Pac-12 Networks —which will launch on Aug. 15 and consist of a national network and six regional feeds of coverage for conference teams and universities — will show three of the Bears’ first four games in the fall, beginning with Nevada at 12 p.m. on Sept. 1 in Berkeley. The following week, the channel will air Cal’s noon bout with Southern Utah at home. On Sept. 22, the Bears’ trip down to Los Angeles to challenge national title contender USC will likewise be featured on Pac-12 Networks.

“We’re pleased that Pac-12 Networks will telecast our return home to Memorial Stadium,” said Athletic Director Sandy Barbour. “It is symbolic of the beginning of exciting new eras for both the Pac-12 and Cal Athletics. The conference has done a fabulous job in creating this media enterprise which will provide significantly increased exposure our tremendous teams and student-athletes so richly deserve.”

Head coach Jeff Tedford was likewise pleased with the exposure his team will receive from the network.

“Having three of our first four contests on Pac-12 Networks gives our fans and alumni all over the world an opportunity to closely follow and engage with Cal football,” Tedford said. “Our conference plays a brand of football that is on par with the best in the country. Pac-12 Networks provides a great opportunity to showcase our program and our student-athletes.”

The Bears won’t be the only Pac-12 team all over the screen. The Pac-12 Networks will show 15 games during the first three weeks of the season and showcase at least one game from each team during the first four weeks.

While most of Cal’s TV schedule has yet to be determined, the Bears will be on national TV at least twice. Cal’s Sept. 15 venture to Columbus, Ohio to face Ohio State will be nationally televised on ABC at 9 a.m. Pacific time. The Bears’ Friday evening game against Washington — 6 p.m., Nov. 2 — will be on ESPN2.