Haas professor to return to Canadian university as dean

The University of British Columbia announced Monday that current UC Berkeley Haas School of Business Professor Robert Helsley will become the new dean of the Canadian university’s Sauder School of Business.

Helsley — who worked at the Sauder School of Business from 1984 to 2008 and was selected as dean after a year-long recruitment process involving faculty, staff, students and members of the Sauder School’s Faculty Advisory Board — will begin his term as dean on July 1 and replace current dean Daniel Muzyka.

“I am excited to be opening a new chapter as Dean of the Sauder School of Business,” Helsley said in an email. “I look forward to returning to the Sauder School, renewing my relationships and building on the remarkable growth the school has experienced in the past several years.”

A native of Oregon, Helsley has served as a professor and chair for the Haas Real Estate Program, and was the co-chair of the school’s Fisher Center for Real Estate and Urban Economics.

“We are extremely pleased that Robert Helsley is returning to the UBC community as Sauder’s dean,” said David Farrar, provost and vice president academic at the University of British Columbia, in a press release. “The close connections he fostered at the university and in the business community during his more than 20 years at the school, as well as his recent experience as a senior academic at one of North America’s premier business schools, will be tremendous assets for Sauder as it continues on its dynamic trajectory of growth.”

Before coming to UC Berkeley in 2008, Helsley was a senior associate dean of faculty and research as well as the director of real estate and urban economics at Sauder, according to the press release.

“It will be a great pleasure to lead Sauder as it continues to build its international reputation for research and teaching excellence,” Helsley said in the email. “At the same time, I am sad to be leaving Berkeley. I am grateful to have had an opportunity to be a member of the Haas faculty, and I am going to miss the school and my colleagues very much.”

Anjuli Sastry is an assistant news editor.