Daily Cal redesigns homepage

Here at The Daily Californian, we’re constantly seeking new ways to better serve our readers. On Tuesday, we launched a new redesign of our homepage, tailored to present more content above the fold and allow for more customization in the way we feature articles.

Over the course of many months, our student web team, led by online manager Karoun Kasraie and senior web designer Persia Salehi, has been hard at work, rethinking how to make our site more accessible and reflective of the day’s news.

Our new homepage features more stories above the fold while maintaining a fluid centerpiece that showcases several articles from various sections. We have also added a new plugin that spotlights our columnists more prominently on the homepage.

Last spring we made the formal move from our old site to a new platform on WordPress. The decision was based on numerous advantages that WordPress presents, including better customization, ease-of-use in terms of publishing content and the ability to add a variety of plugins.

Since the switch, we have continued to make more changes to the website in order to offer you, our readers, a better user experience. Some of these features include:

• Redesigning the Multimedia page and adding photo galleries and video posts.
  • Creating a plugin for most popular and recent posts and adding related posts to articles.
  • Making our website responsive and adaptable to mobile screens.

Because of our consistent dedication to website excellence and efforts to improve our product we were presented in April with the award of Best Overall Website by the California College Media Association. That same month, we were also ranked among the top 14 college news sites for large campuses in the nation by the Associated Collegiate Press.

Still, there is work to be done.

In the next two months we plan to further improve many of the site’s current functionalities and integrate the ability to alternate between several styled home pages that are catered to different types of news events, like breaking news stories and days of action.

None of these changes would have been possible without the hard work and dedication of the online team, again, especially Karoun and Persia. A special thank you should also go out to Javier Panzar, our former online managing editor for getting the ball rolling on so many of these projects and for his insight in developing and improving the site. Also, many thanks to Brad Aldridge, our production manager for his excellent design sense and advice.

We will be cleaning up many aspects of the homepage and re-tweaking different parts in the next few days. Please excuse the mess and bear with us while we wrap up fresh changes.

As always, your feedback and thoughts are very much appreciated. Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] with questions or suggestions.

Kelly Fang is the Online Managing Editor.