UC Berkeley alumnus and longtime Berkeley resident found dead in Oakland

The body of a deceased male Oakland resident suffering from apparent stab wounds was found by Oakland Police Department officers last Thursday morning.

Local media outlets identified 67-year-old UC Berkeley alumnus and former longtime Berkeley resident Michael Thorn Bradley as the victim that was found.

Oakland police officers discovered the body after “responding to check the well-being of a neighbor,” according to Oakland Police Department spokesperson Johnna Watson.

No suspects have been identified, but Watson said in an email that the department’s major crime homicide section investigators had responded to the scene to conduct a preliminary investigation.

The Alameda County Sheriff’s Office Coroner’s Bureau has declined to release any information when contacted and said that interviews regarding Bradley’s death are currently on a “police hold.”

Bradley, who was originally from New York, graduated from UC Berkeley in 1974, obtaining a master of fine arts degree. He had also received his bachelor’s degree at UC Berkeley.

After receiving his degrees, Bradley set up exhibitions of his artwork throughout the country and also published books on poetry, according to his website.

Bradley received awards for his artwork and books, including the KQED Artist’s Award and the Bookbuilder’s West Award which he received in San Francisco, according to his website. He also received the William Andrews Clark Western Books Award and the Regional Design Annual Award, both of which he received in New York City.

Some of Bradley’s pieces of artwork, according to artprice.com, are “Aguas calientes” and “Coral sand twilight,” two water paintings he sold at San Francisco art auction house Bonhams, in 2010.

Besides artwork, Bradley was also a fan of music. One band he was a loyal fan to was Ancient Future, a world music band located in Kentfield, Calif. According to band leader Matthew Montfort, who met Bradley 30 years ago at one of the band’s shows Bradley attended, Bradley was an incredible and kind artist.

“I appreciated his energy,” Montfort said. “He died way too soon. (His death) will be a loss to the local arts community.”