Independent local bookstore closes after seven years

Analog Books, located on Euclid Avenue, is now closed.
Shirin Ghaffary/Staff

Northside bookstore and community fixture Analog Books closed its doors on June 15.

The store, located at 1816 Euclid Ave., was also a hangout spot for students, Berkeley residents and authors alike. Analog differed from larger bookstores with its focus on local publishers and independent feel.

In addition to selling both textbooks and other literature, the store hosted many events, such as book signings and local magazine launches. Employees were mostly students, many of them living in the neighboring student co-ops.

“Analog was a really great place to work,” said UC Berkeley student and former employee of one-and-a-half years Elaina Marshalek. “(It) was a bookstore with a quirky personality.”

Located less than a block away from the campus’s North Gate, many students would wander into the shop with coffee from neighboring cafes simply to  spend time flipping through books, Marshalek said, and sometimes even visitors from out of town paid special visits to the bookstore.

Nima Shokat, former owner of Analog, could not be reached for comment. Mori Herscowitz, the property’s landlord, said he is unsure of what will become of the property.

Currently Herscowitz is communicating with a software-programming student group about potentially leasing the property, but said he was sorry to see Analog go.

“(Analog) has been there for a long time — it’s a part of the community, and the trend of independent bookstores dying is unfortunate,” Herscowitz said.

Some customers speculate that Analog suffered the same difficulties as many other struggling local bookstores in recent times.

“I understand why it’s difficult for a store like that to stay open,” said UC Berkeley alumnus and Analog customer Daniel Kronovet. “A lot of times, businesses like a small bookstore provide service to the community that isn’t monetizable.”

Some still remain hopeful the space can continue its literary tradition. Before Analog opened, the property was previously a bookstore named Signal Books. Herscowitz said he is open to leasing to a similar business, but the future of the property remains uncertain.

“If anyone would like to open another bookstore, people are excited to come and work at it,” Marshalek said.