‘SHE SAID YES!’: UC Berkeley alumnus proposes with fake newspaper flyer

Newly-engaged couple Bryan Clark and Natalia Garcia.
Brian Clark/Courtesy

Students walking around campus this weekend might have come across flyers affecting the front page of The Daily Californian announcing the engagement of UC Berkeley alumni Bryan Clark and Natalia Garcia, which Clark used to help propose to his bride-to-be.

Clark popped the question to his college sweetheart in the campus Eucalyptus Grove early Saturday morning. Garcia explained in an email that the couple first met five years ago when Clark invited her to a “Grab-a-Date” party at his fraternity house Phi Gamma Delta where they immediately connected through their mutual love for “The Godfather.”

Clark and Garcia, who graduated in 2009, have been together ever since.

“I wanted to propose on campus. I walked around a bunch of places and saw the Daily Cal as a good artifact,” Clark said. “I’m a designer, so I came back to my office and mocked it up in inDesign.”

Garcia said she loved the idea and was in shock throughout whole proposal.

“I absolutely loved (the flyers)! They were so creative and funny, and definitely appealed to my CAL spirit,” Garcia said in the email. “The flyers were also relevant to our relationship because Bryan and I used to read the Daily Cal together and have Sudoku races all the time — so it was perfect. I definitely had to read the flyer several times though because the shock of the whole thing made it difficult to register the first time!”

Garcia said she and Clark will soon be moving to Seattle, Wash., where she will be studying clinical psychology at University of Washington in the fall.

Clark said the Daily Cal fliers were not the main focal point to the proposal. He said around the corner of the Eucalyptus Grove, both of their families and about 15 of their friends from college were waiting for them. Clark’s family flew in from Seattle, and Garcia’s family drove up from Santa Clara, Calif., to participate.

Clark said the couple hasn’t planned a date or location for the wedding, but that the ceremony would take place sometime within the next year and half somewhere between Seattle and California.

View the fake flyer here:

• Jessica

I think she was referring to the two of them together as “alumni” in the article.

• adsadjh

He works as a designer? I expect more from Fijis.

• Mike

Really? Nice to know there are artists as well as jocks, drunks and future capitalists in the frats.

• Latin Student

Sweet story. Note to The author: Mr. Clark is an alumnus (masculine singular), Ms. Garcia is an alumna (feminine singular), and together they are alumni (plural).

• WATCHOUT!

She’s gonna take all your money!

• McCoy

I hate GDIs
    -McCoy