Police officer fired following involvement in pepper spray incident

News outlets reported Thursday that Lt. John Pike — the police officer who pepper-sprayed seated protesters at an Occupy Davis protest last November — was fired Tuesday, allegedly overruling an internal affairs panel recommendation which recommended the lieutenant only face suspension.

According to documents obtained by The Sacramento Bee, an internal affairs investigation which was conducted on the incident concluded that Pike acted reasonably. The internal affairs report was then followed by a panel review conducted by both the UC Davis police captain and the campus chief compliance officer, who concluded the lieutenant should have only faced demotion or a suspension at worst.

The internal affairs report — conducted by a Sacramento law firm and a private investigator hired by UC Davis — was completed after the two groups investigated the incident by holding interviews with at least 27 police officers, including Pike, as well as university leadership officials, according to the Sac Bee.

The internal affairs investigators reviewed more than 6,000 pages of emails, videos of the disturbance and other material, concluding there was a “preponderance of evidence” to support Pike’s action.

“For reasons detailed in this report, we conclude that Lieutenant Pike’s use of pepper spray was reasonable under the circumstances,” the report states.

The panel which reviewed the report issued a recommendation April 2 stating that the lieutenant be disciplined with actions ranging from a demotion to a suspension of at least two weeks.

Despite the recommendations, Pike was fired Tuesday after UC Davis Police Chief Matthew Carmichael rejected the findings and wrote in a letter to Pike that “the needs of the department do not justify your continued employment,” according to the documents.

UC Davis Spokesperson Claudia Morain said the campus cannot confirm whether or not Pike was fired, but can confirm that he is no longer employed by the UC Davis Police Department.

• California

In my opinion this looser has to be spayed in to his face just like he did to innocent people!!! I can’t belive our police has idiots like this…. This man has serious mental issues and needs some serios help!!!! I hope he doesn’t have kids, because I can imagine what he would to them when he looses his mind!!!! Glad to see him fired!

• I_h8_disqus

Pain should not be the choice, when it would be much easier to just bring out the handcuffs and drag off the protesters.

• http://www.facebook.com/george.holmes.1800 George Holmes

“the needs of the department do not justify your continued employment,” according to the documents.
    unique language, usual internal affairs conclusion, brilliant leadership Police Chief Matthew Carmichael.

• http://www.mysafetydefense.com/ Raymond Torres

good i am so happy that he was fired it should have been done a long time ago