Berkeley Public Library exhibit features “Notable Berkeleyans”

notable.BAXTER
Adelyn Baxter/Senior Staff

Running through Sept. 15, the Berkeley Public Library’s central branch will be featuring an exhibit highlighting famous and important people who have lived, worked or studied in Berkeley.

The exhibit, “Notable Berkeleyans,” opened Aug. 16 at the library’s central branch — located at 2090 Kittredge St. near Shattuck Avenue — and features 46 influential individuals ranging from comedians and musicians to architects and scientists. The exhibit is part of a rotating display that library staff change periodically throughout the year.

Art and music librarian Will Marston, who started the exhibit, said the idea was suggested by patrons. He then used online and literary resources to identify the subjects featured in the exhibit, Marston said.

In display cases located on the building’s second-floor and ground-floor windows facing Kittredge Street, viewers can read about the time spent by renowned beat poet Allen Ginsberg writing his iconic poem “Howl” in local cafes in the 1950s or actress and comedian Whoopi Goldberg’s brief stint living in Berkeley during the late 1970s. Some of the most contemporary subjects include The Lonely Island members and Berkeley High graduates Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer and Jorma Taccone.

“It’s a nice way to highlight some of the talent Berkeley has produced over the years,” Marston said.

The central branch is open Mondays from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m., Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Wednesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sundays from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Adelyn Baxter is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected].