Community group collaborates with campus to improve student impact on neighborhoods

UC Berkeley students met with residents of the surrounding Southside neighborhood Friday as the first meeting of a new effort to facilitate a more peaceful co-existence between students and neighbors.

The Quiet Campaign of the Happy Neighbors project hopes to reduce the impact of student parties on surrounding city residents, who deal with problems related to loud parties and drunk students on a weekly basis.

The group is a collaboration between members of the Piedmont/Parker Neighborhood Watch and [email protected] — a campaign run through University Health Services that aims to reduce alcohol-related risks for the campus community by promoting safe partying practices.

After meeting with students and resident assistants at Clark Kerr Campus, the group put up signs around Frat Row and streets near Clark Kerr warning students of city-mandated quiet hours running between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. and making neighbors aware of steps they can take to combat disruptions by students, such as notifying police and communicating with student neighbors.

Adelyn Baxter is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected].

• Calipenguin

Instead of worrying about noisy students, the group should have collaborated on ways to rid Southside of thugs and thieves.

• I_h8_disqus

Idiots. You move into an area where fraternities have been for decades, and you want them to change. You should have bought a house on Northside if you wanted quiet.