Majority of voters support Prop. 30, poll shows

Results from a poll conducted by the Public Policy Institute of California released Wednesday show that about half of likely voters support Proposition 30.

Fifty two percent of likely voters support the measure while forty percent are opposed and 8 percent remain undecided, according to the poll.

The initiative, crafted by Gov. Jerry Brown, would increase the tax rate on the wealthiest Californians and raise the state sales tax by a quarter percent over the next four years.

If voters reject the initiative at the polls this November, UC Berkeley will incur $50 million in cuts and students could face a 20.3 percent midyear tuition hike.

Only forty five percent of voters said they would support the competing Proposition 38 initiative while forty five percent were opposed and 11 percent were undecided.

Backed by Molly Munger, Proposition 38 would increase taxes on earnings over the next 12 years and use the new revenues for K-12 schools and early childhood education programs.

“Turnout will be an important ingredient in determining the November outcome of the two tax measures since these initiatives have much stronger support among young, Latino, and women voters, and narrow majorities of independent voters are favoring both measures today,” said PPIC President and CEO Mark Baldassare in a statement.

Read the entire report below.

Curan Mehra is the lead higher education reporter. Contact him at [email protected]