Peanut butter products recalled due to potential salmonella contamination

Many popular peanut butter and almond butter products have been recalled due to potential salmonella contamination.

Sunland Inc., a national distributor of peanuts and peanut butter, has voluntarily recalled about 76 of its manufactured products due to potential salmonella contamination of the strand Bredeney, including Trader Joe’s Creamy Salted Valencia Peanut Butter.

“We have no confirmed information that suggests this peanut butter is unsafe to eat, but there is nothing more important to us than the health and safety of our customers and crew, and the quality of our products,” reads the official statement on Trader Joe’s website.

Trader Joe’s Valencia Peanut Butter with Roasted Flaxseeds and Trader Joe’s Almond Butter with Roasted Flaxseeds were also recalled, and the store removed the potentially contaminated product from its stores on Friday.

According to a release from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 29 people from 18 states have been infected with salmonella, with the likely source being the peanut butter from Trader Joe’s. The cases started in June, and the last one was reported early September.

Symptoms of salmonella poisoning include diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps up to three days after infection. Children under the age of 5, elderly adults and people with weak immune systems are especially susceptible.

Despite the potential danger, UC Berkeley graduate student and Trader Joe’s customer Divya Kashyap said she is not concerned about continuing to shop at the store.

“It is not really a concern,” she said. “They are a big chain company, and they posted it on the website. I think it should be OK in the future.”

Katalin Coburn, vice president for media relations at Sunland Inc., said the company has been unable to identify a source of contamination.

“This particular strain is extremely rare and difficult to detect,” Coburn said. “We decided to recall all the products because they were manufactured on the same production line.”

Customers who have purchased any of the listed products with use-by dates between May 1, 2013 and September 24, 2013 should discard them or return them to a local supermarket for a refund, releases state.

contact Andrea Guzman at [email protected]