Jewish students support UCSA vote on HR 35

The vote affirms the struggle to protect Palestinian human rights

In the wake of the UC Student Association’s decision to take a stance for free speech and the human rights of Palestinians and all people, I was disappointed by the Daily Cal’s decision to publish three opinion pieces decrying this as an attack on the Jewish community. As a Jewish student who advocates for justice for Palestinians, I was frustrated by these portrayals that ignored my existence and mischaracterized the ideals I stand for.

Anti-Semitism should never be condoned. But HR-35, a resolution passed by the California legislature, was absolutely wrong to conflate anti-Semitic hatred with the pro-Palestinian human rights movement. Not only incorrect, HR-35 encourages the silencing of pro-Palestinian voices, chilling our attempts to educate about and advocate against Israel’s racism and human rights abuses toward Palestinians. The UCSA, with input from two UC Berkeley students including a Jewish Israeli, rejected this silencing and affirmed the need for the university’s investments to reflect its values.

I, along with several other Jewish students I know at Cal, was thrilled by the UCSA decision. The self-designated “leaders of the Jewish community” do not speak for us when they defend Israel’s occupation and human rights violations and support attempts to silence pro-Palestinian activists. The Jewish community is not a monolith, and we don’t have to be loyal to the government of Israel no matter what it does. Many of us, as throughout history, see the struggle for justice and human rights for all as a fundamental part of our Jewish identity.

Previous op-eds on the UCSA decision lament that the issue of divestment — removal of university funds from companies complicit in Israeli human rights violations — is “divisive.” I am also disappointed that this issue is so divisive. But not because disagreement on an issue should be silenced, rather the fact that support of human rights should not be contentious. It should be a no-brainer to support human rights of Palestinians, and to instead prioritize defending Israel’s government from criticism, no matter what it does, is profoundly anti-human.

The claim that advocates of BDS are unfairly singling out Israel is wrong. I and other pro-Palestinian advocates care deeply about human rights across the world. We organize around the rights of Palestinians in large part because of the U.S.’s close military and economic ties to Israel — consider that the U.S. finances Israel’s military on the order of $3 billion dollars per year — mean that Americans are involved in its human rights violations, and that we also have a great potential to effect change. As we help build the movement for boycott, divestment, and sanctions, we can create the pressure necessary to force Israel to end its injustices against Palestinians, much as a similar movement a few decades ago forced the South African government to cease its apartheid policies.

In the 1980s, UC Berkeley students voted to divest from South African apartheid. It’s time to be on the right side of history again. We have to prioritize our commitment to justice and humanity over loyalty to any government, including Israel. Jewish students are part of the coalition across UC and across the world fighting for equality and dignity for Palestinians, and this UCSA decision is an important victory in our struggle.
Isabel Sausjord is a sophomore at UC Berkeley.

Contact the opinion desk at [email protected]

• desertwind

When the Nazis rose to power in Germany some people like you (calling themselves “Jewish”) stood up in support of Hitler. Some served and won honors fighting for Hitler, and some were even members of the Wehrmacht. So it’s not totally surprising to see that their decedents still exist today.

Why, if you are so concerned about “human rights” aren’t you speaking out for the Jewish people in Syria, in Egypt, and in Iraq; and in Europe, where antisemitism is almost rampant today. Why are you joining and spreading the lies of the “Bash Israel” movement? It’s this kind of misguided “support” that encourages attacks Israeli civilans. Israel is one of the most democratic places in the world. It is not perfect, but where is the perfect place on earth? The challenges and difficulties Israel has faced since its independence 64 years ago are truly beyond imagination, and what its people, many of who rose from the ashes of the holocaust and from being displaced from arab countries with their shirt on their back, is truly remarkable. Is there suffering in Gaza and the west bank? yes, there is, but it can’t all be pinned on Israel, the only place in the middle east that has and always had freedom of speech, law and order, and equal rights to all its citizens under the law.

• StrikedownCaliforniaHR35

http://wh.gov/XRjg

Sign a petition to prompt the Obama administration to strike down this bill.

• peepsqueek

You cannot fight for the same human rights that are stated in the UN Universal Declaration of Human rights. Most Muslim Countries will not sign on to the UN Declaration. Muslim Countries have signed on to the Cairo Declaration of of Human Rights:

The CAIRO DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS has been criticized for being implemented by a set of states with widely disparate religious policies and practices who had “a shared interest in disarming international criticism of their domestic human rights record.”

Article 24 of the declaration states: “All the rights and freedoms stipulated in this Declaration are subject to the Islamic Sharia.” Article 19 also says: “There shall be NO crime or punishment EXCEPT as provided for in the Sharia.”
    The CAIRO DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS has been criticized for failing to guarantee FREEDOM OF RELIGION as a “fundamental and non-negotiable human right”.

ARTICLE 25: “The Islamic Shari’ah is the ONLY source of reference for the explanation or clarification of ANY of the articles of this Declaration.”

In a joint written statement submitted by the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU), a non-governmental organization in special consultative status, the Association for World Education (AWE) and the Association of World Citizens (AWC): a number of concerns were raised, that the CAIRO DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS limits Human Rights, Religious Freedom and Freedom of Expression. It concludes: “The Cairo Declaration of Human Rights in Islam is clearly an attempt to limit the rights enshrined in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenants. It can in no sense be seen as complementary to the Universal Declaration.”

The Centre for Inquiry in September 2008 in an article to the United Nations writes that the CAIRO DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS: “undermines the equality of persons and freedom of expression and religion by imposing restrictions on nearly every human right based on Islamic Sharia law.”

The Cairo Declaration of Human Rights concludes in article 24 and 25 that all rights and freedoms mentioned are subject to the Islamic Shariah, which is the declaration’s sole source.

• Arafat

Excellent contribution. I guess Isabela stands four square behind Islamic supremacism.

Amazing to think what they would do to Jews like Isabela if given the chance.

Alahus Akabar they shouted out as they slowly, but methodically, cut off Daniel Pearl’s head.

• peepsqueek

To Arafat-

I would like Isabella to answer the question: What do you think the six Arab armies were prepared to do to the Jews, had they succeeded in destroying the newly formed Jewish State?

The legal definition of State is Groups of people which have acquired international recognition within standing of international law (Not Sharia) such as by membership in the United Nations, with a common population (Arabs) and a common language (Arabic).] There are already 22 Arab States, with Arabian people, with Arabic language, with Sharia law. There is only one tiny Jewish State and it gets no recognition as having a right to exist. Where is the balanced scale? It is ironic that Palestinian Arabs, seek statehood now via a path they have rejected for Israel all these years.

• Here is a video showing the way Israel trains U.S. students to do pro-Israel PR (hasbara) on campuses. http://www.hasbarafellowships.org/cgblog/389/45/Hasbara-Fellowships-Israel-Program-Day-15

Makes you wonder about some of these commenters, altho one wonders at their level of “training” considering their ignorance. Consumer beware!

• Current student

Interesting that someone who attended a Catholic high school in San Jose is claiming to be Jewish. And pretty convenient, since she evidently believes that her “Jewishness” adds weight to her argument.

What’s the truth Isabel? Do you practice your Jewish faith? Did you have a Bat Mitzvah? What makes you Jewish?

• Edwin

I attended a Catholic high school in San Jose and am a Hindu. Many students of a variety of faiths attend Catholic high schools in the Bay Area, and in fact, none of the Catholic high schools to which I applied came even close to insinuating a preference for Catholic students. This is a non-issue and an unwarranted, cowardly attack on an individual’s faith. Your comment is empty. Anyone can make nameless attacks online.

• Calipenguin

I don’t think you understood the argument. He is not saying a Catholic school accepted Isabel because she converted to Catholicism. He is also not saying the Catholic religious education requirements affected Isabel’s Jewish faith in any way, although he does question the strength of her faith, which is not something I have a reason to question. What I do find questionable is a Jewish student using her Jewish heritage to add weight to the anti-Zionist point of view when her parents chose to send her to Catholic school. It’s right there in the title to this op-ed. Can she be a credible representative of even a small minority of Jewish opinions if she is a star Catholic school graduate? It’s like Kristin Stewart making an ad to encourage abstinence among teens. Like Mitt Romney rolling up his sleeves and pretending to be a blue collar worker. You just know he came from wealth and you don’t find him credible. Or candidate Obama bowling a few frames to bond with middle class white people. Nah, he’s more genuine shooting hoops. How would your fellow Hindus react if you spoke out in favor of converting a Ganesh temple into a mosque (for a good cause, to end interfaith rioting), and they found out you graduated from a madrasa in Pakistan? You would lose credibility, and they would wonder why you used your Hindu faith to speak against the Hindu temple.

I know how tough it is to find a good school in San Jose. Unless you live in the Lynbrook attendance area the public schools generally suck. Houses in Cupertino, Saratoga, and Palo Alto are too expensive. Catholic prep schools like Mitty and Bellarmine are often the only choice left for mid to upper class kids in San Jose. However, I think not disclosing her four years of required religious studies of the Catholic traditions makes her less credible as a representative of Jewish opinions. Her Catholic high school requires 8 semesters of religious study and 80 hours of Christian service for graduation. The Religious Study department is particularly interesting because of its focus on social justice in the Roman Catholic tradition.

• Katy

Great piece, Isabel! I’m glad you’ve pointed out that many Jewish students on campus support justice for the Palestinian people and that our voices are often not heard.

• Calipenguin

There has been no justice for the Jewish people ever since the Roman Empire drove Jews out of Israel and non-Jews slowly drifted in to take over land that belonged to Jews.

• Dan Spitzer

Katy, other than loud-mouthed imbeciles such as Isabel, there is a smaller percentage of Jews on campus who support the Palestinians than there are Jews for Jesus.

Every group has there kapos. Hell, there were even black slave owners (although I doubt anyone would learn this in Ethnic Studies courses).

• Dan Spitzer

Correcting the typo which should read “their” kapos gives me the space to say that those who scream their support for a people who advocate Jewish genocide (SJP, JVP, Kesher and Occupy slugs like Isabel) may appear to be substantial in number relative to those who speak and write reasonably, but Jews like Isabel are truly few in number.

What is sad is that the DC says in headlines such as this op-ed, “Jews Support” this or that which condemns a pro-Israel pro-Jewish perspective when in reality the numbers of those who do so is miniscule. What such marginal deluded people say is not representative–they are just incessantly loud and always there to spew propaganda in the name of those who they don’t in truth represent.

• peepsqueek

To Dan-
          Please read my post above

• Guest

What is Isabel Sausjord majoring in? Some bullshit like ethnic studies or peace and conflict studies that makes her so deluded?

• deluded ES major

I think she’s pre-med. so integrative biology

• Calipenguin

@Katy: She’s a pre-med? I have to admit I’m impressed by her high school achievements. She was the salutatorian at her Catholic high school, got five perfect AP scores out of seven(!) exams, and volunteered at Stanford Hospital so pre-med seems a good fit for her. Maybe her high academic achievements as a Jewish teenager deluded her into thinking that all Jews in Israel enjoy similar unfair advantages over the Arabs and face no danger of annihilation? Maybe her Catholic teachers downplayed the xenophobia of Muslim and Christian Arabs towards Jewish immigrants in the British Mandate of Palestine? I wish her the best and hope she periodically re-examines her core beliefs as Muslim leaders in the Middle East position themselves for a possible regional war.

http://www.valleycatholiconline.com/viewnews.php?newsid=2403&id=41

• Pro-Isabel

And what are you majoring in Calipenguin? Will you ever contribute so much to the world like Isabel who finds time in her busy pre-med schedule for social justice work?

• Calipenguin

I’m not the one using my ethnic heritage to make a statement about a social issue, so why does it matter? I know in her heart Isabel believes she is contributing to the world, but for such an intelligent and accomplished young scholar I wish she could see that she is contributing aid and comfort to the enemies of the Israeli people, people who struggled for almost a century to create a safe haven for her and her children.

• Pro-Isabel

LOL. I understand, you are ashamed of your major if it’s placed side by side with Isabel’s in comparison.

• Calipenguin

@40d56eef54056f1acddf0d309cf87134:disqus : Oh grow up. If the best you can do to defend Isabel is to hopefully make fun of other commenter’s majors (which you don’t even know) then she’s better off without your “help”.

• Pro-Isabel

Wrong. I’m a history major and I’m damn proud of my accomplishments. Isabel is pre-med and I’m sure she’s damn proud of it.

I’m making fun of your willingness to criticize people with social justice-driven majors while you are ashamed of divulging your own major because you fear criticism.

• Calipenguin

@40d56eef54056f1acddf0d309cf87134:disqus : Do you know of anyone at Cal who is ashamed of his or her major? And when did I ever criticize Isabel’s major? Prove to me you’re not still in remedial English by pointing to my exact words criticizing her major.

• Pro-Isabel

When did I ever say you criticized Isabel’s major? I’ll throw it back to you: “Prove to me you’re not still in remedial English by pointing to my exact words saying you criticized her major.”

What I’ve noticed when you’ve posted on the DC is that you frequently denigrate ethnic studies majors. Example: http://www.dailycal.org/2012/09/20/campus-hires-new-counselor-for-undocumented-students/

I could find more examples if I remembered the articles but I won’t because you know what you’ve said in the past.

Your repeated bashing of ethnic studies majors is nasty and is conduct unworthy of a Cal student.

I just wanted to know what kind of student would make such mean comments. Is that culture fostered by the major you’re studying?

But it’s clear by now that you’re too insecure to share what your major is.

• Calipenguin

@40d56eef54056f1acddf0d309cf87134:disqus : Just as I thought! You can’t prove I criticized Isabel’s major. You have to make some vague references to other posts which don’t involve her at all. Even those posts don’t show that YOU, personally, know anyone who is ashamed of his or her major. Maybe you’re lacking in reading comprehension skills because I’ve done nothing but praise Isabel’s academic achievements. Your defense of Isabel is falling apart buddy. You focus on insignificant details while leaving the main issues unchallenged perhaps because you’re still in remedial English class. And you think I’m insecure, do you? You don’t even realize that I’ve been stringing you along for days, showing everyone how indefensible Isabel’s position is such that even someone with a “Pro-Isabel” avatar can only whine about my major and not address legitimate criticism of her essay.

• Guest

“Just as I thought! You can’t prove I criticized Isabel’s major.”

Good job at pretending that I said you criticized Isabel’s major.

“And you think I’m insecure, do you?”

If you weren’t insecure, you wouldn’t be scared of saying what your major was.

As a strong liberal, a pro-Palestine, pro-diversity, pro-ethnic studies person, I’ve noticed your hateful comments in many Daily Cal articles about social justice majors like ethnic studies. I just want to know what your major is so I can understand more about the psychology behind why you have such far right-wing positions. What’s wrong with being an ethnic studies major if you’re passionate about it?

• Arafat

Here’s a quote from Ilan Pappe, one of the historians who
    helped create the anti-Zionist narrative you seem to agree with:

“Indeed the struggle is about ideology, not about
    facts. Who knows what facts are? We try to convince as many people as we can
    that our interpretation of the facts is the correct one, and we do it because
    of ideological reasons, not because we are truthseekers.”

Isabela are you sure you want to base your views on the work of
    historians who openly admit to being motivated by ideology rather than truth?

• Danny

and she cites pappe where? there’s a lot of facts she can base her views on. try reading a human rights report on the occupation by amnesty or b’tselem or human rights watch or many others.

• AnOski

Versus the Zionists who blatantly lie and omit things (as you’re doing right now). Riiiiight..

• Calipenguin

Though Isabel claims she is Jewish, she may not understand the full extent of the Arab crime against Jews in Palestine. In 1948 King Hussein of Trans-Jordan committed ethnic cleansing in the West Bank. The king threw out all Jews from that piece of land and claimed it for Arabs while demolishing Jewish homes in East Jerusalem. The U.N. did not give him the right to do it, but he did it anyways. Now idealistic young Jews like Isabel come along, see that the West Bank has very few Jews outside of heavily guarded settlements, and assume Jews never existed there post-Diaspora, when in fact a horrible crime was committed to remove Jews from there in 1948. Through her ignorance she is arguing for a second wave of ethnic cleansing against Jews in the West Bank. If she truly wants justice for Palestinians, she should lead a group to demand reparations from Jordan for the massacre of thousands of Palestinians by Arab Jordanian military forces in 1970. However, I suspect she thinks it’s racist to blame brown people of any premeditated evil so she will continue to blame only her own kind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_September_in_Jordan

• Raef

give it up. she’s not arguing directly or indirectly for ethnic cleansing of Jews. She’s not an idealistic fool while you are the sensible repository of wisdom. join the human race.

• Calipenguin

She said “Israel’s occupation” and that’s proof enough. She wants to end the “occupation”, which involves forcibly removing all the Jews from the West Bank, AGAIN. This would constitute the third instance of ethnic cleansing against Jews in the West Bank, the first one being the Diaspora and the second one being the 1948 expulsion of all Jews by King Hussein. Being human means having the capacity to remember, and clearly neither Isabel nor you can remember the past injustices against the Jews.

• Roger

No, ending the occupation would mean letting everyone in the occupied territories have the same rights. Israel controls the region now and one way to end the occupation without moving settlers would be for them to give the Palestinians living there the same rights that they give the settlers instead of doing this ethnic Apartheid crap. The memory of historic persecution against Jews does not give the Israeli state carte blanche to persecute another group. Instead it should remind us that the world needs to stand up for persecuted people of all races, ethnicities, and religions when they need help. That’s the being human part rather than this ethnic chauvinist crap.

• Calipenguin

That is a very creative way of defining “occupation”. How can you end an “occupation” if your country is still in that territory? But for the sake of argument let’s take your hypothetical situation where Israel gives everyone in the West Bank the same rights without ethnically cleansing the Jews out of the West Bank. Now, since Israel is a sovereign country, only Israeli citizens may enjoy rights of citizenship. The Palestinians, being former Jordanian subjects from 1948-1967, are not Israeli citizens and do not deserve rights of citizens. So, what are they missing? The right to vote? Ask the Jordanians to grant them the right to vote, or better yet ask Fatah. Muslim Arabs who live in Israel do have the right to vote, but Muslim Arabs living outside of Israel don’t have that right, FYI. The right to bear arms? They already have that, as well as bombs and terrorist rockets. The right to cross the border into Israel? Sorry, illegal aliens don’t get that right.

• Stan De San Diego

> No, ending the occupation would mean letting everyone
            > in the occupied territories have the same rights.

Who is preventing the occupants of the West Bank and Gaza Strip from having “rights” other than the Palestinian “leadership” itself?

• peepsqueek

To Calipenguin- More questions for Isabella:
      For Palestinians to recognize the Jewish state is to declare the defeat of their stated goal to obliterate it.

Was there injustice on both sides- Yes. Were both Jews and Arabs living in this geographical area called “Palestine”- Yes. Was the question of statehood resolved at the United Nations, with the 1947 U.N. partition plan (a “Jewish State” and an “Arab State” to live side by side) -Yes. Did six “Arab” armies then invade the newly formed Jewish State, in an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to destroy it- Yes.

There are one and one half million Arabs living in Israel as citizens. How can 1.5 million Arabs be living on the land they are displaced from? Why is it that Arabs want no Jews to live on their side of the border? Is not the West Bank the cradle of Jewish civilization? Why should Jews “not” be allowed to live in the birth place of Solomon, David, and Jesus? Doesn’t banner of Islam already fly over 99.9% of the Middle East land mass? Can some one explain, using a balanced scale, why the West Bank must be free of Jews?

The most successful Muslim operation of the last two centuries has been the ethnic cleansing and removal of millions of Christians, Jews, Hindus and Buddhists from the Islamic world. There are 57 Muslims Countries, all members of the United Nations. What happened to all the indigenous people that “rejected” Islam during the Arab/Islamic invasions?

Jews have a language, a history, a coin, a religion that tie them to the Kingdom of Israel. Arabs have a language, a history, and a religion that tie them to Arabia. Arabs now have 22 Arab Countries and fly the banner of Islam flies over 99.9% of the Middle East land mass. Can anyone justify them having 100% of the land? Try using a balanced scale.

• Arafat

Could Isabel explain this conundrum for me?

Why is it Muslims are free to violently conquer lands anywhere and everywhere
    without a word of protest from American Muslims, or any Muslims for that
    matter, but if Jews have a legally established homeland Muslims will never stop
    protesting against it? Why is this do you suppose? What explanation can be
    given other than as the Qur’an states repeatedly that Islam’s goal is to
    establish a worldwide caliphate in which all non-Muslims are subjugated.

For instance, Mohammed was born around 571 AD thousands and thousands of years
    after Hinduism, Buddhism and Judaism existed. But within a few centuries of
    Mohammed’s birth Islam had violently conquered vast sections of Asia, all of
    North Africa and smaller sections of Southern Europe.

Now Muslims tell us that all this land belongs to them even though, for
    instance, in Afghanistan they killed every last Buddhist who once lived there.
    According to Muslim logic per Israel shouldn’t this land belong to the
    Buddhists?

Or in North Africa all the Berbers have been forcibly converted to Islam or
    have been killed and now we’re told all this vast landmass belongs to Islam.
    That’s interesting, if not completely hypocritical. And what about Southern
    Thailand. Did anyone know that in the last several years something like 5,000
    Buddhists have been killed by Muslims because, or so we’re told, the land the
    Buddhists are on belongs to Islam. And Southern Russia? Muslims are
    relentlessly waging a slow reign of terror in Russia because, you guessed it,
    Russians are treating Muslims poorly and they should give up the Southern
    section of that country to Muslims.

Or, let’s take Sudan as another example. How many millions have been killed in
    Sudan? How many babies and children have starved in Sudan while Islamists steal
    the food from aid compounds? How many women have Muslims gang-raped in Sudan
    all because that land belongs to Muslims and only Muslims. All other people can
    go somewhere else to live, I guess.

And Kashmir? The same. Despite Hindus having lived there for 3,000 years –
    something like 2,000+ years before Mohammed was born – Muslims tell us Kashmir
    belongs to them. Amazing logic isn’t it?

And that brings us to Israel. Israel also belongs to Islam. Did you know that?
    It’s true. Even though it’s no bigger than a small pimple on the caliphate’s
    ass it is still their land and they will fight to the death to prove their
    point.

Doesn’t the logic here make a lot of sense. Isn’t it as clear as day? Of course
    it is. The world belongs to Islam and we’re mere players on their stage.

• Dan Spitzer

Arafat, the problem is that those who follow this lunatic religion celebrating its pedophile prophet are incapable of logic. Ditto those who support the genocide advocating Palestinian lowlifes. You can’t argue logic with those whose brains are conditioned not to comprehend it. Nor can you use reason and good sense to get through to ideologues such as Stupids for Just Us in Foul-Asstine.

Note that the author of this absurdity and Mr. Willock who recently rapped Israel are both Jews on the staff of the Daily Cal. And then this so-called publication of student record gives these pathetic excuses for journalists space to slam Israel while supporting those who have manifestly demonstrated no sense of tolerance for freedom of expression.

This is reflected in the appalling headline for this op-ed “Jewish Students Support UCSA Vote on HR 35.” As I’ve noted, the percentage of Jewish students who support the UCSA vote is probably smaller in number than those who belong to Jews for Jesus.

• Arafat

Dan Spitzer,

We both agree on this. Our posts (I think) are intended for
        those who are capable of independent, rational thought, not for those who are
        beyond the ability to assemble facts and to draw logical conclusions from them.

This, of course, excludes Isabel, but there’s always a slim chance
        if she’s hit on the head often enough, and with enough facts that some of it
        might get through her pre-programmed head.

That said, I’m not holding my breath for the likes of the
        Isabels of the world. Their ideals clearly conflict with reality, but they’ll go to
        their graves thinking they’re better than others because they dreamt dreams
        instead of dealing with the mud and the grime of the real world. The shitty world you and I see for what it really is.

• Dan Spitzer

The irony, arafat, is that as someone who grew up as a Western woman, Isabel won’t tolerate 10 minutes as being the wife of a misogynist Palestinian–or any Arab for that matter.

But Isabel and her fellow lowlife ideologues never see anything wrong with the way Palestinians treat women, gays or dissidents. Has anyone reading this ever seen any criticism of sick Islamofascist society and culture spoken or written by any member of Stupids for Just Us in Foul-Asstine? On the other hand, Jews do not see Israel as infallible and you will frequently see criticism of Israeli policy by Jews.

Oh, but shut ma mouth! I forgot that the people who follow that moronic messenger The Prophet Moe Da Shmoe can never do any wrong, as all their supporters, Jewish or not, will readily attest.

• Valentina Jain

To both of you, I would like to first mention that nowhere does Ms. Sausjord mention that she is in support of the human rights violations or misogyny of any kind. The purpose of this article is to celebrate the decision of the UCSA, and to deprecate the California legislature for passing HR-35, a resolution that supports the silencing of a group of individuals because of where the legislature assumes their allegiances lie. As Isabel mentions, the self-designated leaders don’t speak for all of us, and I choose to believe that this doesn’t just apply to the Jewish community and Israel. I do not support human rights violations on either side of this conflict, and I do not support either government in this conflict. However, as Isabel explicitly and repeatedly mentions, her focus is entirely on the human rights of the Palestinian people, who are being ignored simply because people like the two of you judge the entire population by the actions of their government, whether or not they actually live in the region of the conflict.

By your “logic”, I can assume that you, Arafat, believe that various pieces of land belong to certain groups of people simply because of their religion, and that all individuals in all those communities are ruthless killers who conquer in the name of their religion. It also appears that you are anti-Islam, and pro-everyone-else, which leads me to believe that you are a bigot. What you don’t understand is that this has almost nothing to do with religion. The soldiers following their leaders are another matter, but the leaders themselves conquer for riches and resources, not for religion. For every example you have cited of Muslims conquering the world, I can cite at least one for Christians and maybe as many for Hindus.

As for you, Mr. Spitzer, you say that some brains cannot comprehend logic because they are conditioned that way. I can say the same about you, based on your anti-Islamic comments and your inconceivable inability to understand the point of this article. Based on this one article, you generalize that not only is the Daily Californian a “so-called publication”, but that it also employs “pathetic excuses for journalists”, and that Isabel and her friends are “lowlife ideologues”, and that all muslims are “Islamofacists”, whatever that means, and you further continue to personally insult anyone who is in any way Jewish by calling their prophet “Moe Da Shmoe”. “Stupids for Just Us”? Foul-Asstine”? I am not Jewish or Islamic, I was raised Jain and Hindu, and went to a Catholic school, and before you insult religious education, I would like to say that while I cannot speak for all Catholic schools, I was taught religious tolerance and open-mindedness, which I can assume you have never encountered.

Isabel, I know that you are used to criticism for your views and policies, and especially your writings on both of those, and I commend you for writing this article, showing that no single individual or self-designated leader can speak for an entire community, and I am glad that the USCA has made the decision that it has. Keep up the good work, you will change the world someday.

-Val

• Arafat

Valentina writes, “…her focus is entirely on the human rights of the Palestinian people, who are being ignored simply because people like the two of you judge the entire population by the actions of their government,”
            Valentina, you’re joking, no? The Palestinians ignored? Don’t you mean the 3 million Sudanese refugees? (Refugees thanks to Muslims.) Or do you mean the Chaldean Christians who have fled the Shi’ites in Iraq?
            It’s pretty obvious you have no idea what you’re talking about:

There are two UN refugee agencies in the world: First is the United Nations
            Relief and Works Administrations (UNRWA) for 5 million Palestinian refugees
            (which includes the descendants of the original 500,000 Palestinian refugees
            from the Israeli War of Independence) which employs 30,000 workers. The UNRWA
            has resettled no Palestinians.

The second refugee agency is the United Nations High Commissioner for
            Refugees (UNHCR), which assists every other refugee in the world–including 100
            million displaced people during the last 50 years–and employs 7,000 people. The
            UNHCR has resettled tens of millions of refugees.

Looking at these numbers, one would think that the cause of the Palestinians
            is some how morally superior to that of all other war refugees. After all, why
            have so many more workers been assisting a dramatically smaller group of
            people? But if the Palestinians are unique it is only because of their moral
            inferiority, as they are the only group of refugees that regularly commit acts
            of terrorism against innocent civilians.

Another obvious question: why hasn’t the UNRWA resettled any of the
            Palestinian refugees? The answer, of course, is that the surrounding Arab
            states would rather have these refugees remain a thorn in Israel’s side, than
            help them start a new life. The UNRWA is happy to oblige.”

• Dan Spitzer

Valentina, the UCSA does discuss alleged human rights violations allegedly perpetrated by Israel and fabricates these as they are clearly sucking the cocks of Palestinian leadership. Isabel joins them in this lovely activity.

But if one wishes to see true human rights violations, all one need do is to look at the misogyny of those poor, poor Palestinian thugs who brutalize there own women, gays and dissidents. Of course, intellectually and ethically dumb Isabel somehow misses this. And we never hear any member of Stupids for Just Ass in Foul-Asstine or their goose-stepping allies even so much as mention the abominable behavior and corresponding human rights abuses regularly seen in Palestinian society.

• Arafat

“During times of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a
        revolutionary act.”

George Orwell

Of course the deceit is perpetuated by the likes of Ms. Sausjord.

• guest

dang, your islamophobia is showing

• Dan Spitzer

Any person with neurons functioning should look at what is going on in the world and see what barbarians the Islamofascists are and the mayhem they have brought to the planet.

• peepsqueek

To Arafat-
      Please read my post above

• I_h8_disqus

I have no problem with a Palestinian nation just as soon as its constitution and legal system does not support human rights violations. It must no longer base its legal system on Shari’a. It must recognize the equality of women. It must not call for the killing of homosexuals. It must not advocate the genocide of the people of other religions. The list goes on, but you should get my point. A Palestinian nation must be a free nation for the people living in it and a safe neighbor for those who live next to it.

• Dan Spitzer

Look, here’s the bottom line for all those, Jewish or not, who say they support the Palestinians. You are therefore complicit in the advocacy of genocide. Do you understand this? The Palestinian leadership-both the PLA in the West Bank and Hamas in Gaza has been very clear on this.

Would you be so ready to support the KKK’s advocacy of death to blacks? Or in Rwanda, the Hutu’s call for the murder of all Tutsi? Of course not.

How could you be so dense? One hates to draw equations with the Nazis, but it their intent, the Palestinians are no different than the Third Reich. They have both written it in their respective covenants and regularly said so.

In sum, supporters of the “Palestinian cause” are really sick, sick people. And that incluides you, Ms. Sausjord.

• sandel

out in la la land. anytime someone on any side of this starts to compare one of the parties to Nazis, you know that person is out of touch.

• Dan Spitzer

sandel, what’s the difference when the Nazis support Jewish genocide and the Palestinians openly also do so? Or does it make a difference somehow to you that while the Third Reich advocated the death of European Jewry, the Palestinians write and scream their intention to liquidate the ancestors of Jewish Holocaust survivors?

• Dan Spitzer

Isabel, there are fewer Jews nationwide who support the pro-Palestinian minion such as yours as there are Jews for Jesus. You are nothing less than a kapo who supports those who have openly declared their advocacy of Jewish genocide–that is the Palestinians. If you and your fellow kapos don’t see this, you are either extraordinarily stupid or ignorant beyond belief.

Moreover, as a woman you are standing on the side of a Palestinian culture which tolerates the honor murder of teenage daughters and second class citizenry for women. You also support oppression of gays and dissidents. None of this is manifest in the true democracy you are trying to undermine–Israel.

Again, after running a previous op-ed by a defender of intolerant Arabs–see what is going in in the Islamic world today, nothing short of violent opposition to freedom of expression to say nothing of the thousands of Palestinians who danced in the streets shortly after the Twin Towers fell–why is the Daily Cal running another op-ed written by a shill for the genocide-advocating Palestinians?

• quinton

^ and you see the hate that comes out when a Jewish person dares to speak out of step with the Israel line. wow, a kapo, really. grow up. nothing about her advocacy for palestinian human rights (like the basic right not to have all their land stolen) means she endorses any of the problematic shit about gender or sexuality you mention. i mean if you believe that a criminal deserves basic legal rights and the right not to be tortured then its easy enough to see that someone doesn’t have to be the paragon of virtue to deserve to be treated with universal human rights. You fools going around spewing self-hating Jew shit all the time are disgusting.

• Dan Spitzer

quinton, when a people elect two parties which advocate Jewish genocide, support for them is simply and utterly indefensible. It couldn’t be any clearer than that.

Those Jews who aided and abetted the Third Reich were rightfully called kapo as they supported a political order which first advocated an end to the world’s Jewry and then went out to try to do just that. Tell me how different the Palestinians are?

Would you advocate genocide vs blacks? Or Hispanics? Or Asians? It looks like for those who support the Palestinians, the only advocation of genocide which doesn’t trouble you is that of the Jews.

• Stan De San Diego

> In the wake of the UC Student Association’s decision to
    > take a stance
    for free speech and the human rights
    > of Palestinians and all people

Bullshit. Once again the cowardly student activists point the finger at Israel while ignoring the mayhem, brutality, and complete lack of regard for any human rights that is endemic to the Arab/Muslim world – and they did it because it’s the safe, trendy, Politically Correct thing to do. Where is the outrage over “protesters” attacking and killing US citizens? Where are these oh-so-concerned “students” over Ahmadinejad threatening Israel with destruction for the umpteenth time? Nothing but crickets chirping. Isabel and her ilk are pathetic.

• Guest

Lol. Isabel Sausjord’s the idiot who was the SDU’s (Occupy Cal’s Students for a Democratic University’s) candidate for some ASUC position.

A YouTube video of her socialist bullshit (“Millinaire [SIC] Tax Rally- March 20, 2012- Isabel Sausjord- EAVP”)

A lot of liberal Pro-Palestine nonsense at http://www.change.org/members/741190

• tearing up

when people will be studying how the occupation ended, and what UC Berkeley’s contribution was, they’ll be quoting this. May Isabel inspire many more of our fellow Jews to speak up for justice.
    ניכרים דברי אמת
    words of truth are recognizable

• Dan Spitzer

No, if anyone should later venture into the DC’s archives and reads the falsehoods alleged by Isabel, they will experience projectile vomiting at the thought that anyone so unethical was admitted as a student to UCB.

• great piece

Inspiring op-ed. The DailyCal has a lot to learn from students like Isabel who stand for something. Its pretty clear that the tide has shifted on our campus so that supporting israel’s occupation is by now a small small minority of students. maybe editors at the paper, like noah ickowitz, will stop just being yes-men for whatever israel does.