Man in critical condition after being hit in alleged D.U.I.

An 83-year-old woman was arrested Sunday night after her car hit a male as he was crossing an intersection near the northwest corner of the UC Berkeley campus, according to police.

Around 8:40 p.m., Berkeley Police Department responded to a collision at the intersection of Hearst Avenue and Spruce Street, where officers found that a male in his early 20s had been struck in a crosswalk by a vehicle traveling west on Hearst Avenue, said Lt. Ed Spiller. The case is being investigated as possible driving under the influence, Spiller said.

The 24-year-old victim was transported to the hospital for critical injuries, Spiller said. Sections of Hearst were closed well into Sunday night as police investigated the scene. The victim — an Oakland resident — was still said to be in critical condition Monday afternoon, according to a BPD media release.

The suspect’s name is Mary Lou Cordova, and she is from San Pablo, said officer Jennifer Coats in an email. The suspect remained at the scene while police questioned her and was then booked into BPD’s jail facility early Sunday morning.

“The cause of the collision is still under investigation by the Fatal Accident Investigation Team,” the release states.

Chloe Hunt covers crime. Contact her at [email protected]