Outage leaves thousands of Berkeley residents without power

Several thousand Berkeley residents experienced a power outage Monday night through Tuesday morning due to an underground cable failure.

Power went out for 12,425 customers at 9:38 p.m., according to PG&E spokesperson Jana Morris. By 10:22 p.m., power had been restored to all but 637 customers in the areas affected.

The majority of the reports appeared to be coming from residents in Downtown and North Berkeley.

Deputy Fire Chief Gil Dong said Berkeley Fire Department had received numerous calls about the outage and that several fire stations were forced to rely on emergency backup power due to the outage.

According to BART Police Lt. Andy Alkire, no BART routes were affected by the power outage as of 10:30 p.m.

West Berkeley residents also began reporting outages around 11:45 p.m.

According to PG&E spokesperson Tamar Sarkissian, 60 customers remained without power as of about 11 a.m., with full power expecting to be restored by 4 p.m. on Tuesday.

Staff writer Chloe Hunt contributed to this report.

Adelyn Baxter is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected]

Comment Policy

Comments should remain on topic, concerning the article or blog post to which they are connected. Brevity is encouraged. Posting under a pseudonym is discouraged, but permitted. The Daily Cal encourages readers to voice their opinions respectfully in regard to the readers, writers and contributors of The Daily Californian. Comments are not pre-moderated, but may be removed if deemed to be in violation of this policy. Click here to read the full comment policy.

Comments

comments

1

Archived Comments (1)

  1. Nunya Beeswax says:

    Good going, PG&E! What a great argument for passing a proposition that would make it impossible to unseat you as a utility!