Downtown Berkeley street will not be renamed following public hearing

Plans to rename Harold Way in Downtown Berkeley to Dharma Way have been abandoned after an unfavorable public hearing took place Thursday to debate the religious connotations of the name.

At the hearing, the city’s Public Works Commission decided not to send a recommendation to the City Council to rename the 99-year-old street, as it felt the word “Dharma” raised issues of establishing a harmful precedent.

“Although no formal vote was taken last night, it was clear that the Commission did not favor our application,” wrote Jack Petranker, director of Mangalam Research Center for Buddhist Languages, in an email to the commission. “Under the circumstances, we have no wish to pursue the matter further. You can consider this email a formal withdrawal of our pending application.”

The Tibetan Nyingma Meditation Center — which owns Dharma College and the Mangalam Research Center for Buddhist Languages — initially applied for the renaming of the street in April 2011 in honor of the centers and their sister organizations in the area.

In June, Berkeley City Council heard proposals for the change, though the issue was not addressed and was instead sent to the commission for further deliberation.

Supporters of the change said at the meeting that calling the street Dharma Way would unify the buildings on the block with a common and cohesive name.

“(Dharma) means true, it means correct, it means the right way to act,” said Santosh Philip, a Berkeley resident who attended the meeting and supported the renaming.

Yet some attendees argued that “Dharma” was a religious term and should not be used for a public street.

“Changing a name of a facility or a street to a name that would reflect a specific religion would confront nonbelievers and people who have other convictions with something they might find offensive,” said Bruce Reeves, member of the East Bay Atheists.

Berkeley Historical Society President Steven Finacom said in order for street names to be changed, they are required to have historical significance due to city policy.

Finacom said the street’s 99-year-old presence is part of Berkeley historical heritage, whereas renaming the street Dharma Way would be a private organization expanding its image through public property.

Furthermore, Finacom said most streets in the city have their original names, and changing a street name in Berkeley is a rare occurrence.

“To have an existing private entity on a public street — to connect it — seems to be precedent-setting to me,” said commissioner Ray Yep. “That’s what is a little troubling to me.”

Yep said that if the precedent was established, any business, like Safeway, could apply for a street name.

Although the commission planned to send its recommendation to the City Council in November, the meditation center’s application withdrawal closes the matter.

“We look forward to working with the City in the future,” Petranker said in the email. “I personally am pleased to have been part of such a great example of a democratic decision-making process.”

Contact Gladys Rosario at [email protected].

• Bruce_Mc

This change, to a name that is judged as “too religious,” was opposed by people who practice ancestor worship – the historical society. They have imposed their religion on the government of Berkeley.

• Nunya Beeswax

Give me a break. You think that if someone proposed to rename Bonar St “Penal Substitutionary Atonement Avenue” or “Sola Scriptura Way” half the population of the city wouldn’t go apeshit?

If it’s inappropriate to name streets after one religious group’s ideas or tenets, it’s inappropriate to name them after any religious group’s ideas or tenets. Simple as that.

• Bruce_Mc

You’ve got a point, Nunya. I would go for changing Comstock Ct. to Truthiness Way though…

• karma

99 years history…but, who is “Harold”?

• PorcelinaGrout

Grove Street

• guest

it will always be GROVE STREET ” in the minds of a whole lot of berkeley residents past and present……. it,s name now is ( personal opinion i) just abhorrent ….,,

• Current student

people in berkeley have too much time on their hands

• GUEST

only an issue in dysfunctional berkeley… most of the country would look at this sort of thing as totally ” NUTTY ” …