Bears beat odds for first FBS, Pac-12 win

football.ZHOU
Tony Zhou/Staff

When Las Vegas made No. 25 UCLA a two-point favorite over a 1-4 Cal football team, skeptics figured that line to be far too slim.

And they were right, as the Bears turned that two-point handicap into a 26-point margin of victory, knocking off the Bruins, 43-17, Saturday night at Memorial Stadium.

“The belief and the trust is still there with our team,” said coach Jeff Tedford. “I thought some guys stepped up and played big tonight.”

Cal (2-4, 1-2 in the Pac-12) still continued its recent string of bad starts as quarterback Zach Maynard tried to force a pass to a double-covered Keenan Allen. Instead of connecting with his half-brother, he telegraphed the pass into the hands of UCLA’s Andrew Abbott at the 28 yard-line.

Six plays later, UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley found a wide-open Cassius Marsh to make it 7-0 UCLA (4-2, 1-2).

But then it was the Bruins’ turn to shoot themselves in the foot. First, Hundley opened up the second quarter with a backwards pass that bounced off its intended target and was scooped up by Cal linebacker Nick Forbes.

The Bears made the visitors pay, as Maynard overcame his shaky start and connected with running back C.J. Anderson on a quick slant, giving Cal a 10-7 edge — its first home lead over an FBS team.

“We had a huge week of practice this week,” Maynard said. “Everyone was focused in since Tuesday.”

UCLA wasn’t done there, however. After forcing a three and out, Bruins’ return man Steven Manfro had two teammates crash into him while trying to field a punt, resulting in a muff and a Cal recovery at UCLA’s 34.

Four plays later, Maynard found his brother Allen in the end zone, putting his team up 16-7 after kicker Vincenzo D’Amato had his point after blocked.

Mistakes were a recurring theme of the game for the Bruins, who racked up 12 penalties to go along with six turnovers. The Bears dominated UCLA’s porous offensive line all night, forcing Hundley to frequently run for his life.

“They were relentless,” said UCLA head coach Jim Mora Jr. “They were maniacal. They did bring a lot of pressure, and we’ve got to learn to handle that better.”

Hundley then failed to capitalize on a pair of Cal 15-yard penalties that set up his offense deep in Bear territory with a minute left in the half. On a first and 10, he suffered a major communication breakdown with his wide out, who cut off a go rout without his quarterback anticipating it.

Hundley sailed a ball 15 yards over his receiver’s head and into the welcoming hands of Cal’s Kameron Jackson in the end zone, who tapped his toes and locked up the squad’s first halftime lead over an FBS team this season.

Cal carried that momentum into the second half. Running back Brendan Bigelow took a quick screen from Maynard, cut inside and flashed his breakaway speed. He darted down the left sideline for a 34-yard touchdown to put his team up 23-7.

But the Bruins had one last gasp at life. Hundley marched his team right back down the field and hit his tight end Joseph Fauria on play action to pull his squad within nine.

Both teams would continue to trade blows. After an offsides and a subsequent face mask penalty on UCLA that kept the drive alive, Maynard (25-for-30, 295 yards, four touchdowns) threw a strike down the seam to Allen, who shook off a defender and sauntered into the end zone for a 34-yard touchdown.

The Bruins then responded with a 12-play, 77-yard drive, culminating in a 29-yard field goal to make it 29-17 at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

After a bizarre series of events featuring two Cal fumbles — each almost immediately followed by a Hundley interception — the Bears capitalized on fortuitous field position as Maynard punched in his fifth touchdown of the night, putting his team up 19 points.

“There are always tough moments in games and we’ve got to be able to respond back to it,” Hundley said. “Things just didn’t bounce our way tonight.”

On the next series, Jackson snagged his third pick off Hundley, setting up a 68-yard touchdown run from Anderson to put the final dagger in the Bruins’ side.

And with the final score, the Bears shook off a dreadful September to upset a ranked team and earn their first legitimate win of the year.

“It was much needed, no doubt about it,” Tedford said. “It’s been a tough few weeks, and that’s definitely going to give us a boost.”

• MondayQB57

Tedford finally had the right guys on the field but no thanks to coaching – thank the heavens for Marc Anthony’s early departure. Anthony’s performance the past two weeks shows a clear need for a replacement. Cameron Jackson come through. So, Tedford, do what Pete Carroll does – put your best guys on the field. Forget about loyalty, forget about seniority (that’s a labor union thing), and forget about your system (it hasn’t worked). Put your best guys on the field – the guys with the most heart, passion and talent. I guarantee you, this will foster competition and no player dare take a play off as Anthony has frequently done.

• cal fan

Move more money from academics into sports! Go Bears!

• Papa Bear

Wow. Keep it up! Go Bears!

• Not Nearly Enough

This was definitely a game of firsts … 1st FBS win in 5 tries and dropping Tedford’s loss ratio to only 80% (yay, Coach, way to justify your $2.8 million paycheck) … 1st victory against an opponent favored by more than 10 points since the 2003 $C game (again, yay, Coach) … 1st time this year the team’s talent and heart has overcome the incompetence at key positions (yep, that’s you, ZM & JT) …

The question is, do you suppose Oregon or USC or Alabama or LSU — all schools with very mediocre academics — would settle for such mediocrity in their football program? Would they accept an 80% losing record vs FBS competition? That’s rhetorical because the answer to both is no.

So, the question is, why is a university which is a *stellar* academic school that does not settle for mediocrity in its classrooms settle for such on its newly minted $321 million gridiron and with its $2.8 million per year head football coach? An 80% losing record in football is not good enough. A *50%* losing record in football is not good enough. Even a 40% losing record is not good enough because if we applied the same to academics, we would be U.C. Riverside or Irvine, or Merced, or Cal State Stanislaus. That’s not us in the classroom and not us on the basketball court or swimming pool or rugby field. It shouldn’t be us on the football field, either, but it is the best we can look forward to with Tedford. One game does not erase the sins of the past, Coach Tedford. The die is cast and we know what you are and what you should be next year.

We can’t fire you without penalty, Coach Tedford, but we can sureashell reassign you — as long as we have to pay you — to something other than head football coach. And we should.

• Guest

You do know that the only reason you expect anything out of Cal football is Tedford, right? You realize that he ended a half century of futility, right? You understand that he was a Kevin Riley away from a #1 ranking and a Mack Brown shenanigan away from a Rose Bowl, neither of which had happened since Ike was President, right?

Yeah, Tedford pisses me off too sometimes, but you know why Cal accepts mediocrity from its football team? Because we’re too busy striving for excellence where it matters. No one ever hired an Alabama grad over a Cal grad because the Tide win NCs.

• MondayQB57

I don’t agree. It was Marshawn, DeSean and Aaron who put Tedford on the map. Check out Oregon without Tedford. We have so much talent on our team that 5 losses are inexcusable. Last night, our guys finally put together a showcase of their talent. It was the hardest hitting game I’ve seen in a long time. Old fashion smash mouth football. Why now and not before? Still, there are signs of lack of discipline and inadequacies in coaching. Ball on the two yard line, we call a time out, we line up, then a movement penalty pushing us back to the seven yard line. How hard is it to call a play for 2.1 yards? I guess it was easier to waste a time out and then come out for a penalty. Even though we ended up scoring, these types of screw ups make us look stupid. Our first field goal was because we couldn’t score within the 10 yard line. We should practice these situations so that it becomes automatic. Even I have three plays thought up before the game: (first down) fake a handoff to CJ but run a naked bootleg with a pass option to Keenan and Treggs; (second down) pitch out to Isi and sprint to the corner; (third down) I formation, hand off to CJ. In all of our losses – we looked stupid.