Fraternity’s Halloween decoration prompts outcry

A haunted house held by UC Berkeley fraternity Theta Delta Chi featured a hanging zombie decoration which many have said resembled a lynching.
Warren Laufer/Courtesy

A haunted house held by a UC Berkeley fraternity has met with controversy for a decoration critics say resembles a lynching.

Theta Delta Chi’s placement of a hanging zombie from the house’s third-story window has created a stir with some who liken its appearance to racially charged public hangings.

The zombie body, which has since been taken down, had a dark gray head and was dressed in jeans and a white shirt that had been stuffed with straw.

“This is another incident that convinces me and my community that this campus and society is not post-racial, and racist is alive and well,” former Black Student Union chair Salih Muhammad told Onyx Express Magazine.

After a photo of the zombie was posted on Facebook, commenters reacted with disgust.

“(I) don’t know who in your fraternity EVER thought this was okay but it’s not,” reads a comment by UC Berkeley junior Kirk Coleman.

The haunted house is one of the frat’s larger charity events, and proceeds are donated to philanthropist projects Autism Speaks and Green Stampede.

“There was no intention whatsoever as to present it as a black person, and it was a poor choice of head to use because it was a dark grey color,” said Devin Shoop, the fraternity’s philanthropy chair and organizer of the haunted house. “We understand that this has offended people, and we’re sorry for any turmoil this might have caused.”

According to Shoop, the decision to use the zombie head, which was a decoration from an event last year, was the frat’s way of conserving costs so that more money could be donated to the charities that the event benefits.

UPDATE Wednesday 3:36 p.m.:
Chair of the Black Student Union Erma Sinclair emphasized that this is not an issue of racial connotations but instead an issue that holds historical significance.

“It does not matter if the body that was hung was black, blue, green or yellow. The fact of the matter is the action itself has a direct connotation to a period in American history,” she said. “It is not a black-and-white issue – it’s an issue of ignorance. Individuals need to think before they act.”

Contact Ally Rondoni at [email protected].

• GO BEARS
  • Zombie Killer
    • AznGirlie69

Great meme that totally sums up this situation…

• Deven S. Babb
  • Pwll

I’m an older white woman who is amazed at the comments about this. It does show how ignorant folks are about the history of our country. It doesn’t matter what color the head was or if it was a pumpkin. Lynching was a horrible historical event — not just once but hundreds and hundreds of time. It’s really not okay to try to make it look humorous at all. The accounts of the lynchings talk about the crowds, including small children, who found the events humorous. Frankly, just talking about this makes my stomach hurt. All of you need to listen to Billie Holiday singing, Strange Fruit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs

• not the first

• davidle

• Caliali

Cal’s Greek system is not well monitored, and despite
    intentional action by the university, we have fallen short to ensure that the Greek
    system plays by the rules and allows for a safe and appropriate events. Despite
    checking of Cal ids, many freshmen get pulled into an environment of heavy
    drinking because no one really
    monitors the age of the guests, also, many freshman will get pulled into an
    environment of disgrace and debauchery and sexual immorality. Pledging is a
    sugar coated form of hazing, and some people in the frats have gone to the hospital for the acts that they
    are pressured into. I am not trying
    to bash on the frats or the Greek system, but we need to do something about
    this. It is hard, I know to find a group that you can call your family, but
    when you join a frat, everyone is excepted to be your friend, I don’t wants to
    buy friends, I want to have friends that like me because they truthfully do,
    not because they have to. There a lot of ways to find a group of friends that
    is way more supportive then any frat. When I was a freshman , I wanted to join
    a frat, but I found friends on my own, and I cold not be happier. It is easy to think that we are immune to alcohol, but it will later catch-up to you in later
    life and can cause cancer and other bad stuff, and, you CAN have just as good
    if not better time without alcohol distorting and distorting your mind.

• Dead Zed

As a zombie myself, I find this Halloween decoration highly offensive. This should be a wake up call for the UCB administration. Now all of the talented, intelligent zombies are going to matriculate instead at Stanford, UCLA, USC and the Ivies.

• MrPerfect

Geez, it’s not like it was an effigy of Bill Cosby hanging up there.
    Pick your battles guys or people will stop listening.

• It’s high time for Berkeley and other universities to outlaw all so-called fraternities and sororities. As Cromwell told the members of the Rump Parliament: “You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately… Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!”

• KA

Get lost , you GDI loser

• Nunya Beeswax

Fuck Cromwell. Ireland is still recovering from that bastard.

• concernedblackstudent.

“The fact of the matter is the action itself has a direct connotation to a period in American history.” So now blacks are the only people who have some connection to public hangings? Sorry to burst your bubble, but hanging dates back far beyond racist actions in America. Think witches…which would make the decoration directly applicable to Halloween. I know y’all are looking for a reason to get angry, but stop. It makes you sound like a bitch. The critics racialized this decoration, not the fraternity.

• Their jobs are pointless

I wonder how many pension-sucking $100,000+/yr administrators are occupying their time sending breathless mass emails, updating their master List of Grievances, and wringing their hands about this as we speak. I figure it has to be at least two dozen.

• Tony M

Yep.

• cal

Geez what is with all the hate? If someone was offended, so be it. Is it really SO OUTRAGEOUS that someone was disturbed by this decoration? People who have been put under for generations and still deal with the fact that there is like 10 of them on campus, yeah LET them be sensitive, and extend some understanding! Man, like how is it SO UPSETTING that people are sensitive? I don’t get it.

• RyCal

Okay, I’ll play this game.

Sure, you can be offended. But so what? You’re offended, now what? Is it time to publicly shame someone for it? NO. If it doesn’t affect your safety, health, education, and right to live, move the hell on.

• ProudTexan

Stories like this is exactly what is wrong with our country today. This whole notion of over-the-top political-correctness is absolutely ridiculous and contributing to the pussification of America. Get the fuck over it, its a zombie, NOT A BLACK PERSON. God people are fucking retarded.

• texasranger

i’d still lynch someone (regardless of black or white) for heinous crimes.
    Fuck all you liberals , Let’s make America a great nation again , not one that is full of pussy hippies.

• no
  • CalParent

I’m a Cal parent who has known Devin Shoop and his family for over 6 years. I
    am absolutely positive Devin’s only intentions were to create a spooky Halloween
    scene. He is a very altruistic and politically aware young man who doesn’t
    harbor the slightest bit of racism. As stated in the article, he was simply
    trying to be frugal by reusing (recycling) last year’s decoration. I’m sure it
    never occured to him that it could be misinterpreted. After all, I see many
    similar decorations on people’s front lawns every Halloween and I
    never connect it to racism or actual lynchings. To me, it’s just another
    zombie. Why do people get things so misconstrued? Don’t we have enough REAL
    problems in this world to tackle?

• youarefake

I’m Devin Shoop an i approve this message.

• Stopbeingignorant

This is so pathetic. People that have an issue with this clearly green dummy are just projecting their own racial insecurities.

• Doofus1214

Should’ve been a white person on the noose. It would have been accepted by white people because they don’t have a history of being lynched for simply being white. Then again, Hitler just threw them all into a gas chamber.

• Guest

people need to stop making a big deal out of things

• sonofsarek

Geez, relax people. It’s a zombie. Stop being so sensitive. You’re never going to make it in this world if you overreact all the time.

• David D.

So let me get this right… Everything involving a noose represents lynching? Puh-lease. UC Berkeley: Raising a new generation of crybabies who will take any issue–Halloween decorations in this case–and warp it into something that offends them and their belief system. God/Allah/Jehovah/Uncle Bob help us all.

• droofus2002

Yes dude, you aren’t black, what the hell do you know about being a black person and the identity that being black entails.

• LOL

LOL. You must be an ethnic studies or PACS major, where they spoon-feed nonsense like that down your throat.

• RyCal

That is the most racist and ignorant thing I have ever heard! You aren’t black, so you don’t know what racism means? My fucking goodness people. If you are a student at Cal, I’m ashamed they let you in.

• Caliali

drinking because no one really
    are pressured into. I am not trying

• Shut Up GDI

You clearly don’t know anything about fraternity life at Cal. People aren’t “expected” to like you. They like you because you were chosen during the rush process because you fit in (well, since you wanted to pledge and didn’t get a bid, I guess YOU weren’t chosen.) Pledging is not hazing. Pledging is assuring the first impression made during rush was accurate so that you don’t get stuck with someone in your fraternity that you don’t like. Sorry that you can’t get into parties, but that doesn’t mean that alcohol is a terrible problem. Finally, it’s a fraternity, not a frat. You would know that if you knew anything about Greek life at Cal.

• Huh?

Frat is short for fraternity dip shit. I was in such an organization and even I know that.

• DrBerkeley

And Jap is short for Japanese, and tard is short for retarded but it’s still not cool to use those terms. You are the dipshit for not understanding what he was saying.

• Huh?

And Quack is short for DrBerkeley.

• DrBerkeley

I bet Huh is okay with policing language when it offends minorities, but hey — fraternity brothers don’t deserve the same respect. So go quack yourself.

• Caliali

I did get into many partys, you weaken your argument by pretending that I got rejected by the frats, i did not, i went to the parties , witnessed all the drinking you all do as well as the debauchery.

• AnOski

Too little too late.

• knowledge is power

Whatever your political preference (on campus or nationally) is, lynching IS A RACIALIZED FORM OF VIOLENCE. They could have easily just had tombstones on the front lawn with skeleton arms coming out, or a bloody beheaded head — that is gory but it isn’t racially insensitive! What’s offensive is that these decorations were bought using ASUC funding — aka, student fees.

• boo

Lynching means hanging from a tree, and it means a black person is being lynched. Hanging a green zombie from a window? Find me ONE instance when a lynching took place outside of a window.

• Tony M

Is someone at the Daily Cal censoring comments? Mine are disappearing.

• Dan Spitzer

It’s happened to some of my comments, too. DC censors much of what it perceives to be politically incorrect. So much for free speech at Berkeley. It has to be PC or it won’t appear in the DC.

However, when SJP and MSU call Israel an “apartheid state” in DC commentary, that falsewhood remains on the books.

• DrBerkeley

It has to be appropriate. And if you’re read any of Tony M’s comments, you know that appropriateness is not in his skill set.

• Tony M

Excuse me, but may comments are always appropriate and relevant. Perhaps it’s the manner of delivery that offends your NPR-influenced sensibilities?

• a misunderstood zombie

“It is not a black and white issue, it’s an issue of ignorance. Individuals need to think before they act.”

No, this is a zombie issue. The real racism here is against Zombies. A Zombie was hung the other day, and nobody said anything about it. They downplayed the zombie’s suffering as if to suggest that their own suffering has more value than the suffering of any other group, in this case the undead.

I’m sure they’re pissed now, when the zombie apocalypse happens, we are so [email protected]$k!d.

• It’s a TFM

What a joke. TDX tries to raise some money for a philanthropy and Cal’s population of wanna-be Rachel Maddow’s throws a fit about it. These guys are actually raising money for a good cause, yall are just trying to convince yourselves that your shit doesn’t stink. It was a zombie, get over it.

• meowww

Salih is also Calserve’s party chair; resident psychos of the ASUC.

• former grad

hahaha oh silly berkeley, everyone laughs at you.

• DrBerkeley

If you are an alum, then you mean to say “everyone laughs at us”.

• “Special” Ed Jones

Hey, Mohammed, chill out. Go eat a pork sandwich and drink a beer – it’s Halloween, not freaking Ramadan.

• Only.Prejudiced.Against.Idiots

Hey, guess what? It’s Halloween. It was a ZOMBIE.

Shame on you people who feel the need to distort this “incident” into being indicative of some entrenched racial conflict for you to crusade against. How about this – fight against the REAL racism out there, instead of fighting haunted house decorations that are NOT EVEN RACIST. YOU are the ones who perpetuate racial tension, because, you’ve taken a non-incident and used it to divide the community.

No matter what the outcome of this incident, you’ve gained nothing in the way of promoting racial equality, because it is none other than you who keeps the perceived conflict alive. And please, don’t compare black people to zombies. That’s racist.

• calgoldenbear

man I thought the FBI got rid of the Black Panther Party….

• really now?

The grey-skinned community will definitely need time to heal after this. *snaps*

• .
  • anon

Of course our world is not “post-racial and racist is alive and well” (sic, get your editing together, D-Cal, though really a terrible grammarian whoever you quoted) if, on halloween, a fake zombie can’t hang without drawing this kind of attention.

• 2012Grad

“Former Black Student Union Chair Salih Muhammad” – unless he is the chair of the Former Black Student Union, which would make for a much more interesting story, “former” should be lowercase. And as far as the content of the article goes, I think the last sentence is a pretty hilarious PR response from the fraternity.

• libsrclowns

It’s always fun to see the Dipshits of the Perpetually Aggrieved bloviate. Blacks need to grow up and put on their Big Boy pants.

• RyCal

Race, Race, Race, Race… RACE. That’s all I hear out of this school. When the hell are we going to judge people for what they contribute and bring to society? Why are we constantly looking for an easy way to skirt an issue?

• I_h8_disqus

I think students like Salih Muhammad need to make up any controversy they can to justify their club and to pad their resume. There is good money to be made off of racial controversy, and Salih is going for the money.

• disqus_dh0iURWwgt

Are you male or female?

• I_h8_disqus

I think the racists are the ones who think black people look like zombies.

• Guest
      • RyCal

God damnit… NO! Just NO! Enough with trying to tie everything to a damn race! The Walking Dead, I Am Legend, Resident Evil series… all of these things are about zombies, or people stricken with an aggressive disease. There is nothing related to racism when it comes to zombies! Please stop! I am getting so sick of reverse racism I could scream.

• EW77

I think this whole thing is a non-issue, but race has been a very intentional theme in George Romero’s zombie films. starting with Night of the Living Dead

• I_h8_disqus

So now you justify why you don’t think you are racist for thinking black people look like zombies.

• GetOffMyLawn

I knew Berkeley had PC issues, but this is ridiculous. What next, a public outcry for violence against pumpkins?

• historylesson
      • Tony M

How about the “painful history” of Muslims going wacko over every f*cking perceived slight and actually KILLING people, not just hanging some stage prop in what anyone with a shred of sanity and common sense realizes is just a holiday display? We really need to stop catering to the selective sensitivity of every wacko religious cult and fringe group that manufactures offense when none was ever intended.

• Sadia

WOW. i have no idea who you are, but it’s clear to me that you are not from a community that has ever experienced oppression. You’re at UC Berkeley, go get a damn education and stop taking your privilege for granted.

• Tony M

[WOW. i have no idea who you are, but it’s clear to me that you are not from a community that has ever experienced oppression.]

FWIW, I’m of partial Jewish background. However, I don’t use the fact that some of my ancestors were treated badly as a crutch. As far as “privilege” goes, I guess I’m “privileged” to come from a culture where people don’t look to externalize their own problems by blaming the rest of society. How about you?

• voltaire

I don’t know who you are either, but I am almost positive I would hate you if we met. If it where a white zombie, would you be offended? Probably not, therefore you are probably a racist.

• libsrclowns

Hater.

• Nunya Beeswax

Yes, and in the entire history of humanity it has only been black people who have been lynched.

• libsrclowns

You should read some Russian history dipshit.

• Michael

Then the KKK and lynching should be more scary to whites than to blacks as blacks were not the primary focus of lynchings. It was a form of self policing during and after Lincoln’s so called “Civil War”…

Lynchings were primarily used against WHITE soldiers and carpet baggers accused of rape and looting.

• Michael

And Plant Life of all Kinds!!!

• Deja Vu

I am a proud Cal Alum of color and this story is absolutely mind-boggling to me. Thirty plus years ago, my fraternity was similarly criticized for having a hang man in front of our house for a western party. I made it with clothes from my closet, a white-stryofoam wig head, and a mustache I painted on it like the one I was sporting at the time, and we were similarly criticized by a student group. Having lived it, it’s disappointing to read that history is repeating itself (though our purpose was self-serving and not altruistic like this fraternity), but with age comes the wisdowm: I’ve learned that some students on the Cal campus actively seek out any reason to get on their soapbox, cry foul, and lambast others. They aren’t looking to develop tolerance and inclusion within themselves or others. If they were they would have started a dialogue with the fraternity to amend the decoration rather than post an incendiary status update on FB.

• Anonymous

So you know, the people who first noticed the zombie DID try to engage in dialogue with the fraternity; they knocked on their door and asked questions about the decoration. However, it was the frat’s decision to ignore them, refuse to talk about it, and simply take the decoration down before they could get in more trouble. Because of the FRAT’s refusal to dialogue, facebook was invoked so awareness could be spread. Educate yourself next time before you make a comment, mmkay?

• RyCal

God you sound incredibly pretentious.

It’s Halloween, get over yourself and fight the real racism out there. The racism that actually stops a person from getting a job, or getting a decent education, or living a decent life. This is minute shit compared to what is actually going on out there.

• Tony M

True, but it gives these self-important asswipes attention and makes them feel like they are “making a difference”.

• wrong

wow stop swearing tony

• Tony M

Go away.

• DTR

Why? Get out of your parents basement and lets bro down in go-town

• I_h8_disqus

Facebook is very good at highlighting awareness. Unfortunately, this time is awareness it highlighted was some students thought black people look like zombies.

• This is ridiculous

Absolutely false, the fraternity took the decorations down when they were approached and already issued an apology for the mistake. What else do you want them to do? suspend themselves? This is getting blown SO out of proportion and is being used as a soapbox by certain people to further their own agendas. The end result is only frustration and further misunderstanding when REAL issues of racism come up.

• Guest

“However, it was the frat’s decision to ignore them, refuse to talk about
        it, and simply take the decoration down before they could get in more
        trouble
        .”

How the fuck is this ignoring them when the frat took the decoration down after the complaints? You just refuted your own argument.

• SighGuy

Of course, it’s a lose-lose situation. If the fraternity didn’t take it down, these people would be very angry, and portray the frat as completely insensitive to their concerns.

But, when the fraternity decides to take it down, the people who complain will portray them as trying to hide something, as if their alleged “racist” message has been discovered, and now they need to do damage control.

I guess you just can’t appease someone who actively seeks opportunities to be angry.

• Nunya Beeswax

It’s a waste of time to try. Best to stick to your guns and let the drama-queens cry themselves out.

• Michael

I would hang it back up…

• Tony M

So you know, the people who first noticed the zombie DID try to engage
        in dialogue with the fraternity; they knocked on their door and asked
        questions about the decoration. However, it was the frat’s decision to
        ignore them, refuse to talk about it, and simply take the decoration
        down before they could get in more trouble.

So they took down the decoration and you’re still pissed about it? Go fuck yourself. You’re not interested in resolution or conciliation. You’re merely looking for an excuse to play the victim.

• “Special” Ed Jones

“Because of the FRAT’s refusal to dialogue” – If someone came up to my door all hysterical over some Halloween prop, I would have slammed the door in their face as well. Who wants to deal with kooks?

• C

As one of the people who first contacted the FRATERNITY about it that morning, I can tell you that they had it down within the hour. Speaking as a member of the greek community with a good number of friends in TDX I can tell you that they are not racist. I take EXTREME issue with the BSU’s stance on this issue: hanging is a form of execution that, like others, has been abused by people of horrible morals. However, hanging is NOT just a symbol of African American oppression. Its also a symbol of the American Revolution, the Old West, Ships and Witch Trials.

Listen, I know, as I hope the rest of you do as well, that TDX did not have any mal intent. The decoration idea was good, however, it was poorly applied. I skeleton hanging would have been a far greater idea.

We are talking about a haunted house. They often include gallows, guillotines, electric chairs. Referencing the fear of death is THE most common and effective tactic for haunted houses.

That being said, Fraternities obviously have to take more care than most to ensure the sensitivity of their actions, as they are organizations in the public eye prone to high publicity and critique.

Good for TDX for taking it down, but, please guys think more closely about how others may view your actions in the future. Anything that one organization effects how the rest of the community views ALL of us.

• Papa Bear

Wait…So, if it had a Stanford shirt on, that’d be okay, right?
    Geez…unclench. It’s Halloween

• RadChad

Quite honestly, is it really that big of a deal? They obviously didn’t intend for it to look like a lynching. Racism is bad, but its not as rampant here as some people want to think.
    Come on, people. It’s Halloween. Lighten up!

• UC.authoritarianism.fail

ITT: a bunch of frat-boys terrified of getting expelled from Cal.

But seriously, they have a point, halloween decorations (zombies, scarecrows, and dead/mutilated bodies) are not inherently racist symbolism.

• Stan De San Diego

You must have a pretty meaningless life if you have to manufacture outrage over faux racism. Why don’t you just luck yourself in a closet if you’re that easily offended?

• Guest

But my guess is that you would probably be offended if a Muslim frat had a fake bomb and the blood and guts of a mannequin dressed as an American soldier spattered over their front door.

• Another Guest

There’s a bit of difference, idiot, between trying to portray a violent act against a particular individual or group of individuals, and some generic dummy on a day where traditionally people portray macabre images as a tradition. Most people develop a bit of common sense and ability to differentiate between a Halloween display and a credible threat as they go through life. You obviously have not.

• Guest

“There’s a bit of difference, idiot, between trying to portray a violent
            act against a particular individual or group of individuals”

But apparently some people thought that the decoration DID portray a violent act against a particular ethnic group. Just like, sans US uniform, some people might think that a spattering of bomb-gore on a Muslim frat would be equally “insensitive”. (But you have to admit it would be an awesomely macabre Halloween deco.)

My personal opinion on this doesn’t even coincide with what you are accusing me of. I’m just annoyed that so many people think these things are OK when it’s NOT oriented towards them, but then, say, flip out when the public schools try to decorate with multicultural themes for “the holidays”. I don’t care what your viewpoint is, as long as it’s consistent.

• Tony M

[But apparently some people thought that the decoration DID portray a violent act against a particular ethnic group.]

Well, some people are hysterical idiots. What else can you expect from the type of individuals who have convinced themselves that all their problems are the result of racial discrimination, and spend all their free time looking for evidence that fits their preconceived notions?

• RyCal

ITT: A bunch of wannabe “SYSTEM FIGHTERS” that attempt to make anything controversial so they can spout off their latest Sociology lesson.

• Guest

I don’t think TDX intended the hanging zombie man to evoke the image of lynching or to terrorize students, but it precisely has that effect. It conjures up painful memories of American history that should not be forgotten. To say that students and others who are emotionally affected by this are “sensitive” or are being “politically correct” is making light of microaggressions and racism that still persists in our society and on our campus.

For further reading: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129025516

• Shekandbake

It’s Halloween and the guy wasn’t even painted black. Looked green to me while walking to class.

• ALASKA

Has anyone notice the hanging white guy outside of griffiths? facing dwight?

Palin ’16

• Alana B

was it hanging by a noose?

• adsahdj

The only racists here are Salih Muhammad and Kirk Coleman.

Serves the third-tier losers in TDX right though–they’re very closely connected to the Democrats and, consequently, the liberal race-baiting agenda. Now they get a taste of their own medicine.

• UC.authoritarianism.fail

oh lawdy.
      launch an ad hominem attack against Muhammad and Coleman, followed by unsubstantiated guilt by association attacks on TDX which just happen to involve loaded/strawman accusations against one of our two mainstream political parties, including an appeal to reverse-racism.

obvious troll is obvious

• Don’t Censor

The censored comment was:

“The only racists here are Salih Muhammad and Kirk Coleman.

“Serves the third-tier losers in TDX right though–they’re very closely
        connected to the Democrats and, consequently, the liberal race-baiting
        agenda. Now they get a taste of their own medicine.”

• a

Yeah, why the fuck was my comment censored? Fuck that.

• disqus_dh0iURWwgt

Yeah, FUCK THAT SHIT.

• wrong

because you are making hateful comments.

• Tony M

Oh, STFU already. You and your ilk cry “hate” and “racism” whenever you are incapable of winning an argument.

• wrong

Salih Muhammad is NOT a racist.

• Ignoranta$sholes

Yeah he is, he is just projecting his own racial insecurities on to this poor frat that is just trying to make a difference in the neighboring community – which is predominately black. Thanks to Salih Muhammad and his insecure buddies, their funding from ASUC got revoked. This money could have helped their Philanthropy (Green Stampede) make a huge difference in helping keep kids off the streets after school.

Get the **** educated before you start projecting your insecurities.

• Guest

Interesting that this article never mentions Salih Muhammad’s ties to the nation of islam, a genuine verifiable racist hate group.

• UC.authoritarianism.fail

interdasting, but obvious Logic Fail:

What do Mr. Muhammad’s activities have to do with the propriety – or lack thereof – of the actions of Theta Delta Chi?

Nothing, not a damn thing, you’re going to have to try a little harder than that, asshat.

• I_h8_disqus

You’re right that they have nothing to do with each other. Mr. Muhammad is racist and associated with two racist organizations, while the Theta Delts hanging zombie had nothing racist about it, and their fraternity does not discriminate based on race.

• andrewsu

UC.authoritarianism.fail- it has everything to do with it. They brought Farrakhan to campus who spewed anti-Asian and anti-Jewish hate speech now they turn around and demand an apology for a non-racist Halloween costume.

• Nunya Beeswax

The Nation of Islam teaches that black people are “genetically superior” to white people. Spokesmen for the NoI routinely utter slurs against Jews and homosexuals.

It doesn’t seem to me as though the NoI has any credibility when it comes to accusing others of hate speech.

• Guest

Exactly, when it comes to cries of racism by a member of the Nation of Islam, it’s “the pot calling the kettle”-pun intended.

• Tony M

[Interesting that this article never mentions Salih Muhammad’s ties to
      the nation of islam, a genuine verifiable racist hate group.]

Of course the DC wouldn’t mention that, because they are more concerned with ginning up hysteria over a non-issue than dealing with the fact that some people live their lives for the purpose of being perpetually offended.

• wrong

no u are wrong

• Tony M

Care to tell me why?

I didn’t think so.

• Guest

The professional outrage brigade is on the loose!

• qwerty

sensitive much? jesus christ…

• america

Fuck the political correctness bullshit that goes on at this school.

Mccain ’12

• disqus_dh0iURWwgt

The only students from my high school accepted at UCB were women and asians. This state and country are going to turn into a hispanic wasteland, a bunch of lations going to chinese dentists. Fuck all of you.

• droofus2002

Then go back to Europe honky