Student groups participate in various Halloween charity events

With the last round of midterms finishing up for many students, Halloween on Wednesday will be a welcome break from stress and a time for UC Berkeley students to dress up and cut loose.

In preparation for the holiday, most students took Halloween to the week and weekend before by celebrating with flash mobs, haunted houses, charity balls and 5k races.

Bowles Hall Haunted House
Last Friday, the men of Bowles held their annual haunted house which, according to the Facebook event page, “brings some to tears.”

Bowles Hall President and freshman Riley Murray said the event reached a record number of people, with 615 students in attendance and several groups of elementary school kids who were treated to an age-appropriate tour.

“The haunted house is one of the many longstanding traditions of Bowles Hall and takes a lot of effort,” Murray said. “Tour guides march endlessly up and down seven flights of stairs, a horde of zombies needed makeup and costumes and a good portion of the hall had to be blacked out with tin foil and trash bags.”

Murray — who was a vampire on the seventh floor — said that for him, the most satisfying part of the evening was making a host of men “scream like Justin Bieber.”

5k Charity Crawl
Cal Triathlon also held a pre-Halloween event by hosting a Cal Costume Crawl Charity 5k on Saturday morning. The race began at 10 a.m. and cost $20 for same-day registration. Participants had the chance to win a post-run raffle, and those in costume were entered to win prizes. A portion of the race registration fee will go to the Challenged Athlete Foundation.

Junior Erin Colletta, secretary for the team, said the event was a way for them to have fun and practice planning races.

“Our goal as a team is just to promote healthy, active lifestyles to all people and even those who are disabled,” she said.

Pauley Haunted Ballroom
Also in the spirit of Halloween fun, Cal Rotaract and Universal Love and Peace held a flash mob set to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” on Lower Sproul Friday. The flash mob promoted the organizations’ costume charity ball — Pauley Haunted Ballroom.

The ball, held Tuesday night, will take place at the Pauley Ballroom on campus. From 8 p.m. to midnight and for $15 at the door, students can dress up and dance the night away knowing the funds are going to a good cause. All profits will go to charities like the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, American Red Cross Disaster Preparedness, One Dollar for Life and PACE Universal.

Theta Delta Chi House of Horrors
UC Berkeley fraternity Theta Delta Chi is holding its annual haunted house on Tuesday and Wednesday as a philanthropy event benefiting Autism Speaks and The Green Stampede.

The nationwide program Autism Speaks benefits children and families affected by autism. The Green Stampede, a local charity program, works to help Oakland elementary students improve academically.

Contact Ally Rondoni at [email protected].