Election 2012 Endorsements: City candidates

Jacquelyn McCormick
Berkeley City Mayor

When Tom Bates was last re-elected as mayor of Berkeley in 2008, we expected him to be a leader who could bring local officials and residents together.

Instead, he has proven to be a mayor who, especially in recent months, is unable to bridge the divide on the council and fails to adequately listen to the public at council meetings. The city needs a new mayor who can foster better communication and public engagement.

Jacquelyn McCormick has the best chance of being that kind of leader. McCormick, a neighborhood activist who ran for City Council in 2010, is the fresh face that the council needs so it can be a more effective body.

She is rightfully concerned about Berkeley’s financial woes and millions of dollars in unfunded liabilities. As a past business executive, she brings experience with managing budgets and an outside perspective that would help her implement sound reforms.  Furthermore, her idea to hold monthly town halls will ensure that the public is more involved with City Hall and that the council is attentive to its needs.

Candidate Kriss Worthington, who is currently the City Council member from District 7, has strong ideas but would have a more difficult time uniting the council. Worthington has vehemently opposed many of his colleagues’ tactics — for example, he joined protesters at the council meeting where Measure S was placed on the ballot. While he was right to do so in some circumstances, others have had a difficult time working with him, and the city needs a more inclusive mayor. That being said, Worthington has extensive experience with city government and would also take steps to improve the city’s fiscal standing through a rainy day fund. In this race, as with the City Council candidates, voters can rank their top three choices. Worthington deserves a second-rank vote.

Bates, though he must be replaced, has not been a completely terrible mayor. He leaves behind a strong legacy of environmental activism, a cause he promoted through his work on the city’s Climate Action Plan and the East Bay Green Corridor, a collaboration between UC Berkeley, the city of Berkeley and other cities and organizations to promote innovative “green” ideas. But it’s become excruciatingly clear that Bates has overstayed his welcome. His attitude toward the homeless, evinced by his enthusiastic support of Measure S, is problematic. At council meetings, he can be harsh and unaccommodating.

Choose a better leader to sit at the helm of the City Council. Vote Jacquelyn McCormick first and Kriss Worthington second for Berkeley mayor.

Denisha DeLane
City Council District 2

The choice for City Council in District 2 boils down to two out of the three candidates vying for the position: Denisha DeLane and Darryl Moore.

DeLane would do a better job than Moore, the incumbent, because she has a deeper connection to the wants and needs of the West Berkeley district. A longtime resident of the area, DeLane has a strong sense of community and would bring that understanding to the council. She’s concerned about Measure T, which is on the local ballot and would change the rules for development in the area. DeLane told this board that she wants to see the definition of “community benefits” — which Measure T would require for the new developments it allows — more precisely outlined. And with her sharp awareness of the District 2 community, knowledge she furthered while working for a previous council member, she is the candidate who could advocate for community benefits most effectively.

Moore shares some of DeLane’s goals. For instance, both candidates stressed that they want to do more to address crime in District 2. Moore is deserving of a second-rank vote, but his ideas for another term fall short of the enthusiastic community advocacy pushed for by DeLane. Adolfo Cabral, the third candidate running for the council in this district, does not seem to have a firm enough grasp on the issues to be a strong leader.

Vote Denisha DeLane first and Darryl Moore second for City Council in District 2.

Max Anderson
City Council District 3

Max Anderson pushes for change in areas that seem very important to District 3, which he currently represents on the City Council. He will work more on public health improvements and crime prevention in another term. When his goals are taken into consideration with the effective representation he has achieved so far, it’s clear that he would continue being a strong leader in another term on the council.

One of Anderson’s most recent accomplishments is helping to bring the Breathmobile, a mobile asthma care unit, to the city. The program will care for children with asthma, who are particularly impacted by air pollutants in the area. Anderson’s successful effort to provide that service for his constituents is admirable. During council meetings, he has been attentive to the needs of his district and has shown that he can work with other elected officials on policy matters.

His opponent in the race, nonprofit director Dmitri Belser, would pay close attention to engaging District 3 residents and being a responsive council member. Anderson could improve his performance in those fields, but overall, he has a better understanding of the issues his district faces.

Keep this consistent leader on the council. Vote Max Anderson for City Council in District 3.

Sophie Hahn
City Council District 5

2008 is repeating itself in District 5. Once again, Laurie Capitelli and Sophie Hahn are challenging each other for a hotly contested seat on Berkeley City Council. This time, Hahn presents a more innovative vision for the district.

In order to revitalize Solano Avenue, which has suffered from the economic downturn, Hahn places a commendable emphasis on working with the community.  She has stated an interest in bringing different stakeholders together — including neighbors and business owners — to develop a plan for the future of the avenue that works for them. She suggested emulating a design competition  Sepastopol, Calif. held for its downtown. Her plans would promote visionary ideas and create a new Solano for the community, by the community. This is what District 5 needs.

Hahn’s desire to incorporate residents into city politics is the right idea for Berkeley’s future. And her experience as an attorney and member of the Zoning Adjustments Board means she is already familiar with how local government functions and the complexities of city policy.

Incumbent Capitelli, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to have done enough during his time on the council. Though he, too, understands the need for a vibrant economic climate, his plans fall short of Hahn’s fresh ideas.

Let’s get residents even more involved with crafting changes in the city. Vote Sophie Hahn for City Council in District 5.

Susan Wengraf
City Council District 6

Susan Wengraf is the only official candidate on the ballot for Berkeley City Council in District 6, and she will serve well in another term.

In March, members of her district in North Berkeley were alarmed by the tragic death of Peter Cukor, who some felt could have been saved if police weren’t as consumed with a nearby protest. Recognizing this, Wengraf stepped up to the plate. She called for a town hall meeting at which the community was able to make its concerns heard. Wengraf made the right call and demonstrated that she works well with her constituents and is responsive to their concerns.

In her next term, Wengraf hopes to bring down property crime, make Berkeley a more business-friendly city and boost efforts around public safety. Because much of her constituency is in the hills, Wengraf hopes to work out a plan that would cut down on vegetation to save homes and even lives in a time of disaster. Let her keep representing that area well. Vote Susan Wengraf for City Council in District 6.

Rent Board: Shelton, Shenoy, Soto-Vigil and Tregub

The battle for four positions on the city’s Rent Stabilization Board is especially contentious this year. Two slates are running in stark opposition to each another, but voters should look behind the slates and elect the candidates from both groups who will advocate for fairness and affordability in rent policy.

Members of the board primarily deal with the Rent Stabilization and Eviction for Good Cause Ordinance, passed by Berkeley voters in 1980 to regulate rent, defend tenants against unfair evictions and protect affordable housing. Recently, the rent board came under fire through an Alameda County Grand Jury Report that claimed that the board operates without sufficient oversight.

The report has been a major issue in the election, and for good reason. But the Tenants United for Fairness slate has placed an exceedingly narrow focus on supporting the report, to the extent that most of the candidates seem to be running on little else. Judy Hunt expressed concern for supporting Berkeley’s seniors, but she lacks the leadership skills necessary to be an efficient rent board member. Kiran Shenoy is the only candidate running with the TUFF slate who appears to comprehend the complexity of the rent board’s charge. Because of his background as an attorney, Shenoy emphasizes impartiality and will be a useful addition to a body that handles intricate issues related to the law.

Judy Shelton, Alejandro Soto-Vigil and Igor Tregub from the Progressive Affordable Housing slate also deserve to be elected. Shelton and Tregub are incumbents who have proven successful during their time. Shelton’s workshops for small-property landlords provide a necessary educational opportunity to her constituents and should continue. Tregub successfully pushed for stronger protections to temporarily displaced tenants in the city’s Relocation Ordinance and would continue fighting for tenants in another term.

And Soto-Vigil, as a member of the Housing Advisory Commission, is no stranger to housing-related issues. Aside from his staunch support of affordable housing, he understands how vital earthquake retrofits are to buildings where many students live, and he recognizes the importance of collaborating with Berkeley City Council on various issues.

The rent board cannot write off the grand jury’s criticisms, but there are many other issues that deserve the body’s attention. These four candidates understand that. Vote Judy Shelton, Kiran Shenoy, Alejandro Soto-Vigil and Igor Tregub for rent board.

Berkeley school board: Tracy Hollander and Judy Appel

It’s time for fresh faces on the Berkeley Unified School District board. The current board took a serious misstep when its singular nomination for superintendent earlier this year was a candidate who many residents felt did not align with Berkeley values. This year’s election can get the school board back on track.

Voters can choose two school board candidates. As a teacher, Tracy Hollander is equipped to make decisions that impact the classroom. She places due emphasis on “teaching to the top” — creating rigorous educational standards to which all students can rise, rather than catering to low-performing students.

Like Hollander, Judy Appel is well-versed in the district’s budget problems through her involvement on the Superintendent’s Budget Advisory Committee. Appel also has a track record of working with families and community members, including through her role as executive director of the Our Family Coalition, a Bay Area organization that advocates for LGBT families with children. Her broad-based support, seen everywhere from Assemblymember Nancy Skinner to the Berkeley Federation of Teachers and current members of the school board, backs up her claims that she can bring people together to accomplish something.

While incumbent Beatriz Levya-Cutler has done some important work during her tenure, specifically with regard to closing the achievement gap, Hollander and Appel bring more enthusiasm and new ideas to the table.

Vote Tracy Hollander and Judy Appel for the Berkeley school board.

• I_h8_disqus

The Daily Cal is supporting a candidate for Mayor who has never held a political office, and they think she will have the best chance of uniting the council. That won’t happen.

• Concerned Citizen

Completely refusing to mention all three Latino candidates is greatly concerning. Beatriz Leyva-Cutler who has been an amazing advocate for bilingual children and is running for her second term on the Berkeley School Board, Adolfo Cabral who is running for city council for District 2, and Kahlil Jacobs-Fantauzzi, a community activist and teacher who has done a wonderful job of coming up with solutions to address the cities inequalities and is running for Mayor of Berkeley. Where is the coverage on these candidates?

• student

How do you reconcile your endorsement of a student district and Measure R with your endorsement of McCormick, one of the only people in the ENTIRE CITY who has spent any time or breath opposing such a common sense measure?
    She may say she supports a student district, but she has done everything possible to oppose it.

• Josh Wolf

Jacquelyn truly believes in empowering students to shape the future of Berkeley; if measure R had been written explicitly to empower the student vote she would have supported it. Unfortunately Measure R is a blank-check for the council to draw the district lines wherever they please, and she doesn’t have confidence that the council will keep their promises to draw those lines in an equitable way.

• bgal4

Wow, the Daily Cal is CLEARLY out of touch with District 3 issues, the failed leadership of Anderson, and repeating false claims of accomplishments by Anderson.

Dmitri Belser is responsible for the Ed Roberts campus development, and the Daily CAL thinks the state funded Breathmobile placed at 9 sites in Alameda County is Max’s doing?? Hardly.

• Dendel

As a member of the City Council, Max Anderson supported the Ed Roberts Campus, voting in 2007 to provide $2 million in city funds to help complete the project. He also has supported the development of affordable housing, voting to support several important projects, including Oxford Plaza housing downtown. He has been a leader in his support for affordable housing and for rent control, which has made it possible for many students and low and moderate income tenants to afford to remain in Berkeley. Dmitri Belser has a relatively thin resume and could use some experience on a city commission to become more familiar with the city’s policies, plans, and zoning.

• bgal4

Max Anderson campaign is LITTERED with false claims of accomplishments, as the campaign progressed and he has been challenged he drops one claim after another.

see B-Side stories about district 3 race.

Belser lead the public/private partnership responsible for completely the Ed Roberts campus.
        Neither Anderson or Bates were in office when the project received approval, yet both attempted to take credit.

A handful of residents have been leading the work on public safety strategies responsible for the crime reduction District 3 enjoys.

Anderson has been an obstructionist, not an a supporter of crime reduction efforts.

• Dendel

Actually, you are wrong. Bates, Anderson and Worthington were all on the Council when the project got its use permit in 2005. Anderson seconded the motion made by Dona Spring to overturn an appeal of the project and approve the use permit and a variance. Belser hasn’t got much of a record of public service beyond his support for the Ed Roberts Campus and a lot of people supported that project.

• bgal4

Not wrong, final approval is the easy part compared to the initial process of securing the land and funding. Now if you want to debate the two candidates leadership abilities, explain why the lead organizer of the opposition to the Ed Roberts development, Robert Lauriston, is endorsing Dmitri. Answer, Dmitri provided the leadership working constructively with the neighborhood resulting in a development that satisfying many concerns. Contrary to your other other inaccurate statement, Dmitri served on the Disability commission for several years.

I am personally responsible for district 3 leadership over the last 8 years resulting in public safety gains, again Anderson was an obstructionist and neglectful.