Election 2012 Endorsements: National candidates

Barack Obama
President of the United States of America

Four years after Barack Obama assumed the presidency, the United States still faces a plethora of intimidating challenges.

Millions of Americans remain out of work. College students are suffocating under more than $1 trillion in outstanding student loan debt. Undocumented immigrants continue to function on the margins of society, awaiting comprehensive immigration reform so they, too, can openly pursue the American dream. But Obama is still the leader we need to overcome these and other obstacles.

Shortly after his election in 2008, The Daily Californian’s Senior Editorial Board stressed the urgency of Obama’s attention to education and environmental policy. In the former area, Obama has been a leader in promoting affordability and access. For example, he successfully pushed for a simplification of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid process, making it easier for low-income students to finance their education. Some of those same students benefitted from legislation he signed to raise the maximum Pell Grant award.

He has accomplished similarly significant strides in environmental policy. By 2025, the fuel efficiency of new vehicles will be significantly improved as a result of the standards set by the Obama administration.

But Obama hasn’t been completely successful. He failed to keep graduate students eligible for governmentsubsidized Stafford Loans. He has not given the Environmental Protection Agency the teeth it needs to force polluters to shape up their acts. And the economy is still weak.
At the end of the day, Obama is the all-around better candidate. He’s better for education, better for the economy and better for the American people. Vote for Barack Obama for president of the United States.

Dianne Feinstein
U.S.Senate

Dianne Feinstein has represented California well in the U.S. Senate for the past two decades.

She is, as the San Francisco Chronicle put it, “an institution in California politics.” Throughout her career in the senate, Feinstein has been a leader when it comes to the issues Californians care about, from working to give violent crime victims a set of procedural rights under the law, to securing $300 million in federal funds to restore Lake Tahoe, to fighting the California water crisis, not to mention her support of Wall Street reforms and the president’s healthcare overhaul.

Her opponent, Republican Elizabeth Emken, offers very little experience and seems like she would simply vote based on her party’s interests, rather than those of the state. Vote Dianne Feinstein for U.S. Senate.

Barbara Lee
House of Representatives

Rep. Barbara Lee made a name for herself when she was the only member of the U.S. Congress to vote against authorizing then-President George W. Bush “all necessary and appropriate force” against those associated with the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. She was on the right side of history then, and she continues to advocate for the best interests of her district, the state and all U.S. citizens.

Lee is a proud defender of civil rights, with a long history of fighting for equality for people of color, the LGBT community and women. She established a global fund for HIV and AIDS and furthered her opposition to the Iraq war by joining others in blocking the use of federal funds to establish permanent military bases there. Marilyn Singleton is running against her as an independent, but a quick look at Singleton’s campaign promises prove that she is not the best representative for this district. She doesn’t seem to be a good fit for representing Bay Area values.

Vote Barbara Lee for U.S. House of Representatives in District 13.

• Guest Again

Jimmy Green’s stepdaughter had never voted before. The 57-year-old is mentally disabled, and Green said she doesn’t understand the concept of casting a ballot.

But this week, she called her parents to say she had voted for President Obama. The care home in Fayetteville where she lives registered its residents to vote and drove them to the polls, Green said.

“My concern is that somebody told her who to vote for,” he said. “She didn’t even know there’s two different parties.”

Complaints of uncomprehending voters being ferried to cast ballots surface every election. And in a presidential race as close as this year’s, with huge levels of early voting, any perceived irregularity is falling under intense scrutiny.

But federal and state laws are very clear – there is no competency test for voting.

Music to the ears of the Obama constituency.

• Stan De San Diego

Cal students can be proud of the fact that their student paper just endorsed the re-election of the most incompetent president in US history.

• Anthony

Hello Stan – I understand your political orientation and there’s no need to debate the merits of your values against another . However, would you mind explaining the basis for claiming Obama as the most incompetent president in US history? I just want to make sure we’re not engaging in reflexive hyperbole here and that we have intellectual and well-reasoned conversations here.Thank you.

• Stan De San Diego

What part of “worst economy since the Great Depression” do you not understand?

• student

There’s this part to consider – “it started under George W. Bush”

• Stan De San Diego

Bush is no longer president, and hasn’t been president for nearly 4 years. In addition, Obama has done NOTHING to improve the situation. Sorry, but someday your hero Obama is going to need to grow up and accept some accountability and responsibility for his own track record.

• “Special” Ed Jones

“However, would you mind explaining the basis for claiming Obama as the most incompetent president in US history?” – Wait until you graduate and try to get a job, child.