Prop. 30 passes, midyear UC tuition increase avoided

UPDATE: As of Wednesday morning with almost all precincts reporting,  voting results showed Proposition 30 had passed by a significant margin, with 54 percent in favor and 46 percent opposed.

The proposition pulled slightly ahead late Tuesday evening, leading 53 percent to 47 percent with 72 percent of precincts reporting.

“We had a lot of obstacles,” Gov. Jerry Brown said to a crowd of supporters in Sacramento on Tuesday night. “We overcame them.”

The measure — crafted by Brown — will increase the tax rate on the wealthiest Californians and temporarily raise the state sales tax by a quarter of a percentage point.

The tax revenue will be used to fund the state’s K-12 and community college systems and to balance the state budget.

Had voters rejected the initiative, the university would have been dealt a devastating midyear $250 million cut. Students could have faced a midyear tuition increase of up to 20.3 percent.

The passage of the proposition has afforded the University much needed breathing room as it works toward financial stability.

But, it still leaves state funding levels far below ideal.

“(Prop. 30) is just a solution to the urgent problems like tuition hikes,” said Morgan Prentice, a UC Berkeley sophomore. “There needs to be structural changes so that education funding doesn’t keep falling.”

Since 1990, the state’s contribution to the University per student has fallen by over 60 percent. For the first time, in 2011-2012, funds from student tuition and fees exceeded funds to the University from the State.

The possibility of tuition hikes still looms for students at California State University.

By design, Brown’s initiative left the state’s higher education institutions vulnerable to a huge downside risk – the trigger cuts – without much upside.

Bill Evers, a research fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution and former U.S. Assistant Secretary of Education, characterized the measure as “an abhorrent form of political extortion.”

The passage, however, will open the doors to improve the state’s relationship with the University of California.

Prior to the election, the Governor’s office had indicated support for a multi-year agreement to increase state funding to the University by up to 7.5 percent each year if Prop. 30 passed – a deal that could place the University on the path to fiscal stability.

“It’s still a band-aid – tuition is still high,” said ASUC Chief Deputy of National Affairs Nicholas Kitchel. “It’s a band-aid that just prevents that wound from getting larger. It’s our job to build off of the momentum and help students defend themselves in Sacramento.”

Curan Mehra is the lead higher education reporter. Contact him at [email protected].

• vanessacc11

Dear friends. No age gap is too wide if you both feel so right.We don’t care about the social “norm” but chemistry. Many couples with age gap work out fine and get alone splendidly. We celebrate the age gap love and May-December romance. Check out agemeet.c“o`m if you are interested in ageless relationships.

• parent

I am happy that Prop 30 passed.

• Bill J

We’ll have a good laugh when the Legislature appropriates that money to pay for pensions and other benefits for the state employees whose unions funded their campaigns. You’re a fool to think that they give a shit about students.

• libsrclowns

Moonbeam will be back to extort mo money from Cali taxpayers since his scam on 30 worked so well.

• Nunya Beeswax

Yeah, just like you were going to have a good laugh when Obama was voted out of office in 2012.

But please go on–don’t let anyone stop you confidently predicting things that will never happen. It’s most amusing.

• J Brown the pimp

Does prop 30 guarantee tuition freeze? I wonder if the pimp J-Brown is going follow through, or threaten us with another cuts if we don’t pay up…J-Brown, graduate from Cal, DGAF bout tuition since it doesn’t bother him

• taxation.w.representation

muh taxes (ie the delusional pretense of theft)
    glibtards, grow up.

• PASS Prop. 30

Prop. 30 MUST PASS or we students are fucked!