• Berkeleytime, a new student-built class schedule-creation website, aims to be just as necessary as its namesake 10-minute grace period between classes.

Previously, students had to use multiple resources — the Schedule of Classes, the General Catalog, ScheduleBuilder — to plan their schedules. Berkeleytime, created by UC Berkeley sophomores Yuxin Zhu and Noah Gilmore, strives to offer an efficient alternative.

Berkeleytime doesn’t present an instruction manual or registration forms to be filled out — just intuitive buttons to click. “It just works,” Zhu said.

Once the user has selected the desired constraints, classes can be sorted by eight different metrics, including average grade, hours of work per week and the percentage of filled seats in a class. Berkeleytime also allows the user to create an account and add favorite classes. Users can add alternative classes to their favorites and then sort by percentage full to quickly find the class with the greatest percentage of open seats, which can help students avoid having to frantically find alternate classes when they find that one they had planned for is full.

Berkeleytime launched on Oct. 4, and within two weeks, more than 6,000 students had visited the site, with 70 percent returning, according to Zhu and Gilmore.

Berkeleytime, however, is not yet a one-stop shop for finding and selecting classes. Unlike ScheduleBuilder, Berkeleytime does not have a scheduling component. This means that, for now, Berkeleytime is just another piece in a puzzle that includes the schedule of classes and TeleBEARS.

However, that soon may be changing. The additions Zhu and Gilmore have planned include a a scheduler that will allow for long-term planning, perhaps even allowing for the creation of a four-year plan. They hope schedule data will eventually be used to help the campus plan class sizes based on how many students expect to take a particular class.

Zhu and Gilmore also envision making it possible for students to use Berkeleytime to find clubs that interest them as well as design schedule with a specific goal in mind like, for example, interning at Google. For now, though, the sophomores are more focused on improving the site’s quality than on increasing its number of features.