Regents to postpone discussion of fee increase for professional degrees

After a request from Gov. Jerry Brown, the UC Board of Regents have postponed discussions to raise supplemental tuition for certain graduate programs, officials announced Tuesday.

The board had originally planned to vote on increasing professional degree supplemental tuition for 61 professional programs systemwide at their meeting Wednesday, but delayed talks on the fees to a later date after Brown, an ex-officio member of the board, asked for additional time to better understand how fee levels are set at individual professional graduate programs, according to a UC press release.

Professional degree supplemental tuition is an additional fee paid by professional students in certain programs to cover the higher costs of those programs.

Earlier Tuesday morning, the California State University Board of Trustees also agreed — at Brown’s request — to delay voting on a proposed fee increase which would affect students who enroll in more units than is typical and those who remain students after becoming eligible to graduate.

The board was originally scheduled to modify current undergraduate tuition levels at Tuesday’s meeting. Brown addressed the board at the meeting in Long Beach, Calif. after their decision to delay tuition discussions.

Brown was recently at the forefront of the campaign to pass Proposition 30, which aims to raise about $6 billion to fund public education and safety services in California by raising the state sales and incomes taxes. Because of the proposition’s passage, the UC and CSU were each spared $250 million in midyear budget cuts.

Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, who is a CSU trustee, said in a statement Tuesday that Prop. 30 “staved off dangerous cuts that would have guaranteed fee hikes and limited student access, but our work is far from done.”

With the passage of Prop. 30, the CSU will also begin rescinding a $249 semesterly tuition increase enacted for the fall 2012 semester and reverting tuition fees for full-time undergraduate students back to levels of the 2011-2012 academic year, according to CSU spokesperson Elizabeth Chapin.

Contact Ailya and Mitchell at [email protected].

• Calipenguin

Brown is just delaying the inevitable.

• Current Student

Unless we tax the rich to make some money, yes.