Hiker found dead after fall from rock on outskirts of UC Berkeley campus

A 24-year-old man was found dead on UC Berkeley campus property Wednesday night after being reported missing by friends earlier in the day.

At about 6:29 p.m., UCPD received a cell-transfer call from the California Highway Patrol informing the police that a missing person had been reported, according to UCPD Lt. Alex Yao. UCPD officers responded to help locate the missing individual and found him about 200 ft. downhill from Grizzly Peak Boulevard to the west, near Signpost 15, Yao said.

“We are looking at the case, and the injury might have been caused by a fall,” Yao said Thursday. “At this point, we have not discovered anything that would indicate foul play.”

According to a report from the San Francisco Chronicle, the victim was Jonathan Mendiola Urbina of San Pablo, who wandered away from a group of friends and cousins to climb a large rock below the trail. Neither Mendiola Urbina nor any of his companions are affiliated with the campus.

Mendiola Urbina was declared deceased at 7:22 p.m. He had been missing for about one hour when UCPD learned about the incident, Yao said.

However, UCPD Captain Margo Bennett reportedly told Berkeley Patch that Mendiola Urbina had been climbing a rock with several companions while hiking Wednesday evening when he fell. The members of the hiking group told the police they had been intoxicated, according to Patch.

When asked about the role of alcohol in the incident, Yao declined to comment.

Grizzly Peak runs through the Berkeley Hills. The location where Mendiola Urbina was found is in the campus department’s jurisdiction despite being in the city of Oakland, Yao said.

Police are still investigating the case.

“We will conduct a comprehensive, thorough and detailed investigation,” Yao said.

Chloe Hunt covers crime. Contact her at [email protected]

• DTR

Wow, this is quite serious. Hopefully we find out what happened. I wish his family the best.

• Nunya Beeswax

Hey, Daily Cal : “male” is an adjective, not a noun. Next time write a story instead of reproducing the police report verbatim (“individual” is an unnecessarily clunky and verbose way of saying “person,” while I’m at it).

• Nunya Beeswax

“UCPD officers…found the male about 200 feet downhill from Grizzly Peak…”

Seriously, someone buy these kids a fucking Strunk & White already.

• Current Student

joke’s on you, idiot.

male
      noun
      1.
      a person bearing an X and Y chromosome pair in the cell nuclei and normally having a penis, scrotum, and testicles, and developing hair on the face at adolescence; a boy or man.
      2.
      an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces a sperm cell or male gamete.
      3.
      Botany . a staminate plant.

adjective
      4.
      of, pertaining to, or being a male animal or plant.
      5.
      pertaining to or characteristic of a male person; masculine: a male voice.
      6.
      composed of males: a male choir.
      7.
      Botany .
      a.
      designating or pertaining to a plant or its reproductive structure producing or containing microspores.
      b.
      (of seed plants) staminate.
      8.
      Machinery . made to fit into a corresponding open or recessed part: a male plug. Compare female ( def. 8 ) .

• Nunya Beeswax

Well, dictionaries report usage. I’ll take correction on my assertion that “male” is an adjective and not a noun, but I’ll firmly stand by my contention that its use here is cack-handed and clumsy.

• v

your busy worrying about stupid corrections when a friend of mine died. get a fucking heart.

• Nunya Beeswax

First things first : I am sorry that your friend died. I’ve lost friends & family myself, and I know how painful it is.

But perhaps your pain is preventing you from seeing that my comment is about the Daily Cal’s writing, not about your friend. If you had posted on your blog about your friend’s death, I wouldn’t have dreamed of criticizing your writing. It would have been rude and churlish to do so. But this is the website of a newspaper, and therefore a public forum. I didn’t mean to offend you, and I’m sorry if I did, but public speech is fair game.

• https://twitter.com/ArwenLothlorien Eveningstar

Unfortunately it is common to find dead bodies in Berkeley…many of us in the community think are the bodies the University police led by former thug-Police Chief Celaya and Berkeley’s city police keep dumping after they have done someone in. This has been going on for decades. A new suspect is Craig Becker and the Telegraph Business Improvement District. It is one the true way they can get rid of the homeless they tried to eliminate and failed with their disastrous effort to pass Measure S. *sardonic joke*

• Berkeleyan

Lame.

• I_h8_disqus

A young man is dead, and his loved ones have suffered a tremendous loss. Unfortunately, we see that the heartless will use this event in the most tasteless way their sad pathetic minds can think of.