We're an independent, student-run newsroom.

The Daily Californian covers the city of Berkeley and the campus in unparalleled detail, all while training the future of the journalism industry. Consider making a donation to support the coverage that shapes the face of Berkeley.

• UC Berkeley students who have lived in the residence halls are all undoubtedly familiar with Residential Computing, otherwise known as ResComp.

The ResComp Residential Computing Consultants provide support for all students’ “digital security, operating system troubleshooting, device configuration, networking, and data recovery” needs, according to their website.

Though their job is mostly out of the public eye, it’s certainly far from boring, as some might expect. With all this experience working on students’ computer issues comes wisdom, knowledge and hilarious stories of technical woes.

RCC Sheila Wagner has encountered a few situations where, from an outside standpoint, the problem seemed to be a “no-brainer or a brief lapse in judgment.”

“One of my personal favorites was when a resident came into the Academic Service Center with what was deemed as a ‘broken screen’ or something like that, since the computer showed no signs of powering on,” she said. “I asked the resident if they had a power charger with them, plugged that in and somehow the screen magically worked.”

The takeaway, in her eyes, is that “technology gets the best of us sometimes, so funny things like this don’t lead me to judge too hard.”

ResComp staff members see these little forgetful moments very often. In most cases, they can diagnose and fix issues with no problems. In others, the computers and their hopeful student owners aren’t so lucky.

Such is the case with liquid spills. ResComp sees a large number of accounts of this issue, with spills ranging from soda to soup. One RCC said, “In those kinds of situations, there’s really not much we can do, as it becomes a hardware issue, and that’s not something we can assist with.”

Tech issues can be a good laugh for the everyone involved — RCC and user alike — after they’re all fixed up. But until then, the RCCs are ready and waiting.

• Symphony94

Thank God for ResComp! At first I thought I could only go to them for the major problems, but you’re right! they are so super nice about fixing the small stuff too. They saved my a** so many times! Good information!!

• Really?

ResComp does a lot more than just deal with “forgetful” residents. There is a lot of training involved, and RCCs have much more skills and knowledge than just that. They don’t judge. They just use their technical and customer service support skills to help the resident. They can troubleshoot and solve issues that are much more complex. This article really simplified what ResComp does. Should’ve gotten information from a better source.

• Perhaps, but…

Yeah, it’s definitely true that this article simplifies the RCC’s job significantly, but you can hardly expect this article to give an exhaustive job description. Granted, it does somewhat implicitly diminish the difficulty of the RCC’s job, but at the same time, for an article that intends to be entertaining, we can hardly expect them to detail an exhausting rootkit/reformat. I think it’d be cool to do a follow-up article that actually talks about the fact that the RCC’s job isn’t all funny stories and resident mishaps, but that it can be painful and difficult, but it’s not criminal as it is.

• And also…

Additionally, I think that your last comment about a “better source” implies that Sheila Wagner is an unfit source. I find this implication rather distasteful, and somewhat offensive. I work with Sheila and think she’s an awesome RCC, and has certainly experienced her share of woes on the job, so I think you’re less qualified than you believe to judge her fitness to be a source.