$23,000 in computer equipment stolen from North Gate Hall

A student reported $23,000 in computer equipment stolen from a locked lab in North Gate Hall on campus Sunday night.

UCPD responded to a call from an unidentified female student reporting the theft of ten iMac desktop computers, valued at $2,300 each, from room 209 of North Gate Hall, which houses the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism. Police responded to the report at 8:26 pm, 10 minutes after the initial report, to find the lab’s door broken in.

According to the police report, the student entered the lab to look for her notebook and discovered the door had been forced and the computers stolen. About five computers remained in the lab, with a standard Apple keyboard left on the stairs leading to the lab.

The door to the lab was secured by a keypad lock. Police believe the door was kicked in.

The computer lab, called the Greenhouse, functions as a classroom, an audio-video lab and a photography lab for the School of Journalism, says Roy Baril, the school’s director of technology. Police are still investigating the theft.

Previous campus thefts this summer at Mulford Hall, the Foothill Residence Hall library and the Lawrence Hall of Science resulted in the loss of tens of thousands of dollars of computer equipment, though UCPD later recovered most of the computers stolen from Mulford Hall.

Contact Gautham Thomas at [email protected]