Business Insider ranks UC Berkeley third most dangerous college in America

Tower.FOOTE
Kevin Foote/File

UC Berkeley was ranked the third most dangerous college in America, according to a Business Insider ranking released Tuesday.

Business Insider — a news website for U.S. business and entertainment  — evaluated colleges based on the FBI’s Unified Crime Report, which collects crime data for universities and colleges. The news website averaged crime data from 2008 to 2011 for schools with enrollment of over 10,000 students and ranked schools based on a combination of the violent crime and property crime numbers.

UCLA and New Mexico State University are ranked the two most dangerous schools in the country. UC Berkeley, Duke and Florida A&M University rank third, fourth, and fifth on the list, respectively.

“Although the FBI discourages rankings, we have taken care to provide a statistically valid ranking of the most dangerous schools,” Business Insider wrote.

In October, the campus released their annual crime report, which showed an increased number of sexual offenses in 2011 — mostly attributed to a former University Health Services doctor who was charged with 19 counts of sex crimes against former patients — and a significant decrease in the number of reported burglaries.

Chloe Hunt covers crime. Contact her at [email protected].

• ConcernedAboutCampusSafety

The Business Insider list actually has Cal as 2nd most dangerous now. It’s fine to make a million excuses for the criminals, but there simply should be fewer victims to start with. The school needs to take a long hard look at this and take action. And, yes, for those who asked – it IS worse here than in Cleveland, Newark, etc.because (having lived there, I can say…) security, campus and local police are much more visible and active.

• Pixilicious

South Central? Harlem? Chicago’s South Side? Detroit? Indianapolis? Cleveland? Seems hard to believe that lil’ ol’ Berkeley comes close to those scary places, isn’t it? We can suspect that the “Business Insider” has a hidden agenda, don’t you think?

Take a look through their pages and it reads like the print equivalent of Fox News. ‘Nuf said.

• Calipenguin

Lil’ ole Berkeley attracts thugs from Oakland and Richmond. And you can’t accuse the Business Insider of a hidden agenda unless you accuse the FBI as well.

• cal77

Maybe UCPD and BPD will be embarrassed by this story and take a little action. I am so tired of reading about hoodlums wearing hoodies that steal iphones and purses from students and others.

• GetOffMyLawn

Sad – yet the city and university will do nothing to bolster their police departments to fight this.

• ET

California private schools were not included in the FBI report for some reason. I’m not sure about the other states, but this might throw off the rankings, and we may not really be so far up on the list.

• I_h8_disqus

Private schools often don’t have to provide data to government agencies. That may be why they are excluded from the report.

• http://www.youtube.com/user/SirWinstoneChurchill Winston Blake

Not only that, but students can have guns at private schools much more easily than public schools.

A lot of private schools let students have guns on campus…

• DTR

This is idiotic. UCLA??? Holmby Hills is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the US.

• I_h8_disqus

There are many types of crime that aren’t related to income level.

• DTR

You’re right, but neighborhoods with low income levels have a strong correlation with high crime. And also, I know that area, and there is no crime there. I think one homicide since 2000 (and it was personal beef, not a random fight). Idk, I just wouldn’t trust these rankings is all

• I_h8_disqus

Cal ranks so high because of one person who was captured and charged with 19 counts of sex crimes. It only takes one person to put a school in the top five.

• Dante

maybe they meant USC

• Calipenguin

Lots of BMWs, iPhones, and credit cards.

• Cal77

UCLA is in Westwood

• DTR

Not exactly. “Westwood” isn’t exactly a neighborhood, per se. UCLA is surrounded by Westwood Village to the south, Bel Air to the north, and Holmby Hills to the right. The second 2 have average family incomes exceeding 200k, and westwood village is a good area as well..