Chancellor-designate Dirks to be welcomed with festivities at Doe Library

Following a special meeting of the UC Board of Regents to confirm his appointment, UC Berkeley Chancellor-designate Nicholas Dirks will be welcomed to his new position with classic campus fanfare Tuesday.

In honor of Dirks’ pending appointment, current Chancellor Robert Birgeneau has invited the campus community to a celebratory event on the steps of Doe Library at 3:15 p.m. Tuesday to “give Professor Dirks and his family a warm Berkeley welcome.” According to a campuswide email Birgeneau sent Nov. 16, the welcome will feature cookies and refreshments and will take place “rain or shine.” For anyone unable to make the event, the celebration will also be webcasted live.

The festivities will follow a special meeting of the regents at the UC Office of the President in Oakland earlier on Tuesday when the regents are expected to officially confirm Dirks’ appointment as well as the appointment of Jane Close Conoley as interim chancellor of UC Riverside.The meeting is scheduled to open to public comment at 11:15 a.m. Afterward there will be an open meeting of the Committee on Compensation to vote on the terms of the two appointments.

If approved, Dirks, who previously served as the executive vice president and dean of the faculty for arts and sciences at Columbia University, will succeed Birgeneau on June 1, 2013.

ASUC External Affairs Vice President Shahryar Abbasi, who was one of two students who served on the committee tasked with selecting the next chancellor, said he is excited for students to get the chance to talk with the new chancellor and for Dirks to get a better understanding of the unique university he will oversee.

“It will be a great opportunity for the chancellor to understand the campus on a more personal level,” he said.

Contact Alex Berryhill at [email protected].