Suspect arrested after series of on-campus robberies

UCPD announced Monday the arrest of a suspect in a series of Sproul Plaza robberies that took place in September.

Kody Smith was arrested last Wednesday in a hotel room in Fremont, said UCPD Lt. Eric Tejada. On Sept. 10, Smith allegedly threatened two students in two separate incidents into withdrawing money from an on-campus ATM. Police said Smith pressured the victims to buy several magazine subscriptions, and when the victims declined, Smith walked the victims to the ATM located in the Golden Bear Cafe, where they handed him money.

According to Tejada, the department received a tip that Smith was in Fremont. The department worked with Fremont Police Department to make an arrest at about 1:40 p.m. at a Days Inn hotel. Smith was charged with two counts of robbery.

One of the magazine victims previously reported that Smith and two accomplices had threatened her. Police are still looking to find Smith’s accomplices, Tejada said.

After UCPD released information about these incidents, other students came forward with allegations that they had also been approached by people selling magazine subscriptions on Sproul dating as far back as last spring. Tejada said that Smith and his companions are also suspects in similar crimes at San Francisco State University. He added that the investigation is still under way and that the department is hoping to tie Smith to similar cases across California and possibly Nevada.

According to the Alameda County website, Smith was booked into Santa Rita Jail and is set to have his arraignment — where the court will inform him of the charges against him — on Monday.

Chloe Hunt covers crime. Contact her at [email protected]