Weekly business rundown: Week of Nov. 26

The city of Berkeley sees a number of business openings and closures during the course of a year. Here is a brief update on recent happenings in local business.

Sliver Pizzeria to open

Three former Cheese Board Pizza Collective “alumni” will be opening Sliver Pizzeria at 2132 Center St. in early January. The location is currently home to the Sportivo Bar Ristorante, which is expected to close in December. With more than 45 years of experience at Cheese Board, the three new owners — Guillermo Perez, Dwight Serron and Artemio Maldonado — will be creating an atmosphere where customers can enjoy pizza, jazz and cocktails while supporting a greater cause. The business will be supporting the Not for Sale campaign against human trafficking in the United States and across the globe.

“We want to be able to use the pizza we make as a means to promote healthy food and awareness of human trafficking,” Perez said.

Ethnic Arts relocates

Last week, Ethnic Arts moved to a cozy spot right between Allston and Bancroft ways — at 2236 San Pablo Ave. — from its previous location of 18 years in northwest Berkeley. According to owner Eleanor Hopewell, the new location is almost half the size of the old one but is still very open and well-lit. According to Hopewell, her old location in the Gilman Village complex is being redeveloped for a different kind of retail space, and Ethnic Arts will thrive in a more friendly location in West Berkeley.

“It’s exciting — there’s much more of a neighborhood feeling to (the new location),” she said.

The store’s hours remain the same, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week.

El Sombrero Taqueria changes to Tikka Korner

The former Mexican-Indian restaurant at 2101 University Ave., El Sombrero Taqueria, has been renamed Tikka Korner and will now only serve Indian food. The management and Indian portion of the menu remain unchanged.

Contact Ailya Naqvi at [email protected]