UC sees small drop in private funding

The University of California raised more than $1.56 billion in private donations during the 2011-12 fiscal year, a small drop from the $1.59 billion raised in the previous year.

In the face of deteriorating state funding, the university has stepped up its efforts to raise private funds. But it remains unlikely that philanthropy will be able to completely make up the shortfall in state appropriations, said Daniel Dooley, senior vice president for external relations for the University of California Office of the President, in a statement.

“Private gifts are furthering every part of the university — and we are so grateful for the support,” Dooley said. “As our state funds have fallen, we’ve seen donors step up to create more endowed faculty chairs and student scholarships, gifts that go right to the heart of our funding challenges.”

The funds raised will go toward a number of university initiatives, including research, financial aid and student scholarships, according to the 2011-12 annual report on the university’s private support.

“Strong philanthropic giving is impacting virtually every aspect of the university,” the report states. “It would be hard to underestimate the value that private gifts and donations have for the university, both in terms of their immediate impact on UC’s academic and research missions, but also for their positive influence on UC’s future.”

At UC Berkeley, $410.8 million was raised in the 2011-12 fiscal year, an increase from the $328.8 million raised in the 2010-11 fiscal year, according to the report. The campus raised more than any other in the UC system.

In 2008, the campus began the Campaign for Berkeley, an initiative aimed at bringing in more private money. The campus has to raise around $400 million in the next year to reach its goal of $3 billion by June 2013.

In this fiscal year, the campus completed the Hewlett Challenge, a $113 million matching grant initiated by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation in 2007 to endow 100 new faculty chairs. The challenge was completed in November with all chairs funded, more than two years ahead of schedule.

“The new endowed chairs will be critical in reinforcing the distinction and quality of Berkeley’s world-class faculty and graduate students,” the report states.

Sara Khan covers academics and administration. Contact her at [email protected]

• dude

The campus pretty much needs to raise $500 – $600 M consistently over the next several years to keep up – that needs to be the new benchmark.

• i tried.

@55b007ebaab704284320bec325427eeb:disqus wtf?

• tvitternaut

see in A FOUL tax hike enviroment funding from private sources dry up a prime example right at your feet sides with the disruption of housing costs in the form of tax hikes the ones selling due to being tax forced they are the ones with reADY CASH TO buy up all available low cost fixer uppers housing they then
    downsize their living costs and buy up two rental to foot the bills who oays the rents the youth who rent and they also screw their parents who have to sel their nomes for smaller housing costs they have the cash and
    can buy all available low cost fixers and with no jobs can get unlimited low cost workers to fix the homes to rent and tine to see to the work then all low end housing drys up and the rents skyrocket while education funding drys up while everyone is in the move cause they cant afford what they usetah love fine on one job
    now they need tomove in with someone else and share yuck or move out of the home parents usetah have
    or buy their own which they share but own. either way yes you acheive the elderly out their housing but the effects to rental costs hikes is unbareable and the rents means also security hikes and ypu might end up pauing hiigher costs in storage and parking fees for parking garage since not always do the garage come with the housing there will be moving costs even ifit just gas and the time to look in even harder housing
    less open due to returning soldiers and the selling of parents housing and the drying up of available and lower cost housing thus the young are burdened just more so cause theones wil money are the ones forced o sell.. and they will have cash to buy smaller houses to get the rents and the tax rights offs and the hikes in tax costs are write offs too. althought corporate tax rates would also benifit due to lower corp rates on business properties used for business a broad place for conversion industrial housing thats corp
    they will boom all at higher costs due to the slump of available low costs rentals which will have to raise rates on he poor elderly on fixed the young who dont haveincomes to foot the costs and the high turnover in tax hikes likein the early seventies when the haight went into housing the multitudes of youth the prices went stelllar to today and tax hikes cause rent hikes to match the costs to the renters. they pay the storage fees the rental now will charge for parking some will convert to housing to afford better rents so less parking available than before in the city its a premium too. so is storage lockers and open garages. and in housing hikes kike in the seventies recession gas prices went up with gas s=hortages and rationing for every oddd or even day and there was price gouaging for housing cause oakland had a major loss of closing low income projects being demolished if low income housing was being shut down like the seventi=es cause of the property tax ikes cause the condemnation of low cost project housing
    then vuts to section 8 housing too went into affect as they closed and demolished the old units they then
    dryed up all other low cost housing forcing the youth to rent substandard living spaces or covertions like garages with living quarters, at unreal =rents and fees. plus the tax hikes added to offset the hikes. adding 300 to 400 minimum to all rental units available a virtual owners and rental paradise onthe backs of the youth. the workers and those without incomes will loose. the poor will also loose but the elderly will have some federal funded help so will disabled and the military subsidies all federal funded hel while the youth will be out in the cold forced to live in substandard housing.

• zz

$410M is indeed an impressive jump. But still we have a long way to go: our neighbor raised over $1B.

• dude

Indeed. Disconcerting that people continue to give to institutions that are filthy rich already.

• http://www.facebook.com/mel.content.9 Mel Content

Maybe because some people’s alma mater doesn’t constantly peddle PC crap that is offensive and in opposition to people’s personal values and beliefs. As a working taxpayer who believes that people should be admitted on the basis of merit and legal right to attend college vs. affirmative action and other crap, I’m not giving a damn penny to Cal when the Regents fight Prop 209 (which I supported) and support the Dream Act (which I oppose). Let the rich liberals who support that BS donate THEIR money. I’m hardly wealthy but I still pay over $20K/year in state, federal, and local taxes. Starve the rats…

• Guest

How did we get a new conservative troll on this website??? Don’t we have enough?

• dude

Why is the title not “UC Berkeley raises more private funds than ever”? Who cares about the UC system as a whole?

• finance

$410 M is pretty much the most Berkeley has ever raised…excellent job!