Mayor’s Chief of Staff Judith Iglehart steps down

In her year of service as chief of staff to Mayor Tom Bates, Judith Iglehart developed a reputation for fostering a business-friendly attitude toward entrepreneurs in the city. Iglehart has stepped down this week to return to those entrepreneurial roots that made her so valuable to the mayor’s office in the first place.

Iglehart, who began working as chief of staff in January of 2012, will found her own business with a colleague, according to Nils Moe, senior aide to the mayor. It is not yet known who will replace Iglehart, as the mayor’s office is currently undergoing a restructuring, Moe added.

As chief of staff, Iglehart acted as the point person in the office for policy, working with the media and managing the office, said Moe. She had an especially strong background and expertise in dealing with startups and entrepreneurs, he said.

“When she came to me, she was helping us to develop more of a positive approach towards helping businesses get started in Berkeley,” said Bates. “She was very interested in the economic development component of the town. She brought a lot of new ideas and a lot of new energy.”

One of those new ideas included the Eureka pitch event, in which local companies and entrepreneurs could pitch their business ideas and receive valuable feedback and critiques from those already experienced in various industries, Bates added.

Additionally, it was during her tenure that the Skydeck went up and running in the city. Skydeck is a joint effort from UC Berkeley and the city to help tech-based startups located in Berkeley.

“She made a big contribution to her office, and I wish her well on her new job,” Bates said.

Jaehak Yu is a news editor. Contact him at [email protected]