UC Berkeley ranked in top ten by Kiplinger magazine

campskies.IGNACIO
Dean Ignacio/File

UC Berkeley ranked as the eighth best value among public colleges and universities, according to rankings released this month by Kiplinger.

Falling from seventh on last year’s rankings, UC Berkeley retained a spot among the top ten colleges along with UCLA at sixth place and UC San Diego at tenth place.

Kiplinger, a business and finance magazine, evaluated schools according to criteria including student-faculty ratios, admission rates, on-time graduation rate, sticker price and financial aid.

UC campuses continue to rank highly despite a trend of declining state revenue and increasing student tuition. UC Berkeley’s costs, at $29,049 for in-state and $51,927 for out-of-state students, were the second highest on the magazine’s list.

Kiplinger cites the UC Berkeley’s “stellar academics” and generous financial aid packages as the key to the campus’ exceptional performance in the rankings.

“If you meet the requirements at the University of California, we have generous aid packages,” UC spokesperson Dianne Klein told Kiplinger. “Nearly half of our students don’t pay any tuition at all.”

With an average debt upon graduation of $17,116, UC Berkeley has one of the lowest graduating student debt averages among the top ten schools, according to the magazine.

UC Berkeley regularly places highly in college rankings both good and bad. The campus was ranked the third most dangerous college in America by Business Insider in November, just months after ranking as the best public university in the country in September by US News and World Report.

Mitchell Handler covers academics and administration. Contact him at [email protected].