UC President Mark Yudof to step down

mark.yudof_.edit_.PANZAR
Javier Panzar/File

UC President Mark Yudof announced that he will step down from his position on Aug. 31, 2013, in a statement released Friday.

After stepping down, Yudof said he plans to return to teaching law at the Berkeley campus.

“While the decision is my own, the moment comes with a mixture of emotions,” he said in the statement. “For a transplant from Texas, by way of Philadelphia and Minnesota, every day at the University of California has brought new wonders.”

Yudof joined the University of California as its president in 2008. Since then, the UC system has seen significant cuts in state funding, prompting a number of tuition increases throughout Yudof’s tenure as president.

“It is important to note that we — members of the entire UC community — have made it through this rough passage with our fundamental attributes intact,” he said in the statement. “We have preserved excellence in our academics, research and health care. We have kept our doors open to all worthy students, regardless of family income levels, embracing the Blue and Gold financial aid program for low and middle income students and raising more than $671 million through the Project You Can scholarship program.”

Curan Mehra is the executive news editor. Contact him at [email protected]